Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife has a 2011 Chrysler 200, 3.6 V6 that developed a tick.

Apparently the roller rockers are problematic on these Engines.

Also, some early Engines had defective cylinder heads that also ticked.

Car has almost 100,000 miles and I'm looking for input.

Trying to decide whether her tick is rocker related or the cyl head.

It still runs smooth and no CEL as of yet.

I'm told if it's the cyl head the CEL will eventually indicate an Engine misfire.

Anyone have any experience with this issue??

I'm trying to decide whether to pull valve covers and check the rockers.

It seems like an involved job to remove the valve covers is why I'm asking.

If a defective rocker is found does one typically replace them all?

Are Melling replacement rockers any better than OEM?

Anyone know exactly what is ticking on the defective cyl heads?

I'm told it's not a rocker ticking on the defective heads but something else.

How long from tick to CEL illuminating on defective heads?

Any input is appreciated!

GO TRUMP 2020!!!

·
Registered
1,305 Posts

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Usually if you get a misfire with the tick, it dropped a valve seat. You may get lucky with rockers, but I've diagnosed more cylinder head issues with those than anything else. I've never had one that was fixed with rockers.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, this is what I'm curious about.

There's still warranty on the 246 Cyl head for several months.

Apparently Chrysler only fixes it under warranty if there is a misfire.

No sense chasing rockers if the seat is falling out.

Usually if you get a misfire with the tick, it dropped a valve seat. You may get lucky with rockers, but I've diagnosed more cylinder head issues with those than anything else. I've never had one that was fixed with rockers.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I guess I'll wait for the misfire and hope Chrysler replaces the head.

If the tick persists I'll change rockers with non OEM parts.

Her previous car with a 2.7 never had any Engine issues.

We keep it around as a spare car and it's at almost 350 K!

The 2.7 has a bad rep but its been bulletproof.

Never a tick or click, it just purrs!

Check the comments, alot of feedback on this. I read through them and seems it will keep happening if you dont replace them all.

Also, Chrysler Extends Pentastar V-6 Warranties - Motor Trend's WOT

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
You can induce a misfire so it becomes a stored code, if you tell them it comes and goes they will warranty it. I would plug in a spare injector on the suspect cylinder so it doesn't set an injector code, then start it up and let it set the code. If you do one on each bank, they will warranty both heads. Otherwise they will only change the one on the side with the misfire.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Brilliant!!

I was thinking some thing like that.

Are injector connectors accessible without removing the intake??

I'm totally unfamiliar with these Engines

·
Trump Voter NRA Member
6,377 Posts
The roller rockers are common problems on those 3.6's. Probably the toughest part of the job is getting the valve cover off. If you let the rocker go too long it'll eat the cam lobe and then you really have a problem. When all the needle bearings are gone from the roller the frame of the rocker will rub the cam lobe and take it out.
So if you hear it you better get after it.

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
I've fixed a few of those heads with a bad guide on #6 but it sets a missfire code first. Guide wears sideways, not the usual parallel to the rocker travel. Don't know if they ticked prior to code setting.

·
Registered
337 Posts
The extended warranty only covers the left cylinder head, or the frt head in the 200. I would ck to see which head the noise is coming from. If it is a tick noise your hearing, you most likely have a rocker arm going down and not a cylinder head issue .Have never replaced a head for a noise, only misfire issue.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Just went through this on the wife’s van. Threw some rockers in it and it’s been quite for about 6 months now.

·
Registered
41,239 Posts
Daughter's Wrangler had a tick, they changed both cams, all the lifters and rockers on the driver's side, $1650. I told her I want the old parts, there was 1 bad roller on a rocker, everything else was primo. You can buy a rocker for about $15 and change them in under 3 hours. Just make sure when you're in there to check every single roller. I've see them go at 15K so they are a problem.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks, sounds like good advice!!

The roller rockers are common problems on those 3.6's. Probably the toughest part of the job is getting the valve cover off. If you let the rocker go too long it'll eat the cam lobe and then you really have a problem. When all the needle bearings are gone from the roller the frame of the rocker will rub the cam lobe and take it out.
So if you hear it you better get after it.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks, I appreciate the misfire/tick info.

I've fixed a few of those heads with a bad guide on #6 but it sets a missfire code first. Guide wears sideways, not the usual parallel to the rocker travel. Don't know if they ticked prior to code setting.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks, approx how long to RR valve covers?

Just went through this on the wife’s van. Threw some rockers in it and it’s been quite for about 6 months now.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks, good info, nice to hear they're not all bad.

They must be borderline quality/strength wise.

Daughter's Wrangler had a tick, they changed both cams, all the lifters and rockers on the driver's side, $1650. I told her I want the old parts, there was 1 bad roller on a rocker, everything else was primo. You can buy a rocker for about $15 and change them in under 3 hours. Just make sure when you're in there to check every single roller. I've see them go at 15K so they are a problem.

·
Registered
41,239 Posts
There's a lot of videos on changing them. Takes about an hour to get the cover off because of all the crap in the way. Then just loosen up the bolts holding the cam and it wiggles it right out. You can feel a bad one, make sure it's off the lobe and grab the roller and try to feel if it has play in it. If it's snug, it's good. Any movement it's junk.

·
Registered
41,239 Posts
Be warned! I think it's the driver's side, there's a PVC valve at the rear of the cover held in by two bolts. If you don't remove it, the cover is not coming off! Hard to see but not bad getting it out.

·
Registered
16,701 Posts
Be warned! I think it's the driver's side, there's a PVC valve at the rear of the cover held in by two bolts. If you don't remove it, the cover is not coming off! Hard to see but not bad getting it out.
PCV valve. It’s the passenger side. some cars it’s not too much of a problem, on a Jeep JK it’s a PITA. I hate that design.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts