Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I played in a little band in the 80's as drummer and did ok but man I love bass and would learn to play is it pretty easy to pic up? Kinda like Les Claypool!

·
Registered
686 Posts
I play bass.... In my experience bass is a lot easier than playing guitar,but I know severall good guitarists that have a hard time with bass. I cant read music, I play by tab which is #'s instead of notes....All you have to do is stay in key and stay in time and you can do what ever the hell you want in between its all about knowing your scales. It hurts like hell starting off but don't stop no matter how shitty you sound. Earn them calusses then get good.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I used to play until my fingers bled.. You gotta get to know the bass and really be able to stretch your fingers on the frets. Once you find a style your comfortable with, practice like hell lol.. Les Claypool does alot of slapbass, and that is a totally different animal..

·
Registered
10,216 Posts

·
Registered
48,068 Posts
...it's been a while and I still have my #4001 Ric, I don't like slap.....everything else I'm cool with.

·
They call me HateTank
2,836 Posts
Been playing bass since 79'.Stopped for a few years and picked it back up around 98' to form the band Hate Tank.Been writing and jamming ever since.Great way to let off steam (were an angry lot) LOL...If you've never played a string instrument it's not real easy to pick up but with bigger (and fewer) strings I find it fun to just mess around.Your drumming background will help a lot with timing too.I play a 5 string because of our drop tuning but my first few axe's were 4 sting and I always had a blast.Playing bass is a different mind set than guitar cause you kind of play in the pocket with the drummer.The bass adds the bottom to the higher lead sound....IMO...

·
I have a liter of cola
7,101 Posts
Take the time to learn to read music if you don't already. Once you know the scales and can read the music it is easy to do fills and runs on your own. Scales are boring as shit....spent years learning them on multiple different instruments. I was a music major in college before dropping it for engineering.

You can cheat in the beginning a tune it for open chords to make it even easier.....but trust me. You will have more fun and speak the same language musically with a good guitarist if you read music.

Oh, and I can't stand working w/ drummers who can't read music. It is stupid not to learn. And people wonder why other musicians call them dummers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts