Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
.................for Canon EOS Rebel T3i with either 75-300mm lens without IS (mostly for shooting aircraft), or 18-55mm (for shooting my cars). THX

·
Registered
10,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i provided you with 2 great sites to learn from....this tab is on life support
In my original post I said I was already in the 1st one you posted, and it's got no real traffic to speak of. I'll give the other a try. THX

·
Registered
910 Posts
For shooting airplanes use aperture perfered programming and set it to the largest f stop you have. The camera will select the correct shutter speed. Don't be afraid to use a higher ISO speed, it will speed up your shutter to capture motion better. Panning with the camera helps keep it in focus and if there is a background it will add a blur for a look of speed. The post processing can really make or break your photos, don't know what you use but shooting in RAW and adjusting the image in Photoshop works for me. At work now but will try to post some shots with exif data Tonite.

BTW, Nice cars in your past.
Bent

·
Registered
20,704 Posts
For shooting airplanes use aperture perfered programming and set it to the largest f stop you have.

???? Do you mean largest f number (smallest opening) or largest opening (smallest f number)?

I do NEITHER. This is because "it is a well known fact" that many especially lesser quality lenses, are SHARPER when stopped down at least 1 or 2 f stops from the largest aperture (smallest f number)

So........If you set the lens to lowest f number........it may not be quite as sharp depending on lens

...........If you set it to highest f number........you likely will result in a very high/ grainy ISO and very slow shutter speed to "freeze" the shot and avoid blur

My huge 300mm f2.8 I stop down to f4. On the other hand a friend has the small Canon EF-400mm L and shoots it wide open at 5.6 whatever that is on that lens.

My 100-400L is NOT sharpest wide open. At 400mm that is f5.6 wide open so you are already down to about f6 or so for sharpness

·
Registered
20,704 Posts

·
Registered
20,704 Posts
I mean the small number= largest aperture. A 5.6 at extended focal range will have an aperture of f/8. Not bad put could be faster.

https://nis.nikonimagespace.com/html/myphoto/en/view/all_photos/photos
at the end of the Earlville race are some airshow pix I took. They are reduced resolution but you can see the exif data by clicking on the photo.

BENT
Well THAT depends on the individual lens. There exists zoom lenses that are "constant aperture" IE keep same aperture regardless of zoom setting. My Canon 100-400L I.S. is f4.5 at 100mm, and 5.6 at 400mm. However, my Canon 70-200L f2.8 I.S. is f2.8 regardless of zoom setting. Unfortunately I have never got it to perform satisfactorily with a Canon 2x converter/ extender which "should" in theory be same as my 100-400. The quality is simply not there.

·
Registered
20,704 Posts
Well THAT depends on the individual lens. There exists zoom lenses that are "constant aperture" IE keep same aperture regardless of zoom setting. My Canon 100-400L I.S. is f4.5 at 100mm, and 5.6 at 400mm. However, my Canon 70-200L f2.8 I.S. is f2.8 regardless of zoom setting. Unfortunately I have never got it to perform satisfactorily with a Canon 2x converter/ extender which "should" in theory be same as my 100-400. The quality is simply not there.

I can not by the way get your photos link to work. I'm getting old "and tired" and can't walk far or stand for hours, anymore. I haven't been to an airshow since the last Fairchild one, and can't hike in the woods anymore. Used to be great fun.

Tonight I just learned that an old friend has died (cancer) at 81. He was a great amateur photog amoung other things

·
Registered
910 Posts
I mean the small number= largest aperture. A 5.6 at extended focal range will have an aperture of f/8. Not bad put could be faster.

https://nis.nikonimagespace.com/html/myphoto/en/view/all_photos/photos
at the end of the Earlville race are some airshow pix I took. They are reduced resolution but you can see the exif data by clicking on the photo.

BENT
Fucked up that link didn't I . I use a 25 year old Nikon f/2.8 80-200 that I bought from C.L a long time ago. Built like a tank but the constant 2.8 aperature is worth the heft. Looking at the exif data on my photos it looks like most were shot between f4 and f6 at around 4000 of a second with 400 iso.
One photographer I like to follow is Mark Rebilas because he posts his data with his pictures. This is a big help as it made me use higher ISO speeds than I thought possible.

http://markjrebilas.com/blog/

Bent

·
Senior Moment
6,109 Posts
a 2x converter loses 2 full stops from the get go. 1.7 loses 1,7 stops, etc...

·
Registered
20,704 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Take a look at these shots. http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2341898

99% of my stuff is shutter priority. It is a must shooting aviation. If your shooting props, you have to show prop blur, if not it looks like a toy ready to fall out of the sky. Even when I shoot jets I usually will not go over 1/500th. This way if there are clouds you will get background blur to show motion. The only time I really shoot aperture priority is helmet shots, grid girls, or shots of cars coming right at me, or going away. My rule is, if I can see the wheel, it has to show blur, a frozen wheel is no damn good, so head on, means just that.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts