Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Any advice for finding a job, tried CL, Monster,& Careerbuilder. Trying to relocate.

I'm trying to relocate to N Central Florida from Indiana and not having much luck so far. I've tried Craigslist, Career Builders and Monster. I've had no responses since I first started posting my resume's over 3 weeks ago. Looking for advice, I've never tried to relocate before. Thanks

·
Registered
876 Posts
Re: Any advice for finding a job, tried CL, Monster,& Careerbuilder. Trying to reloca

Do you know anyone in the area down there? Thats where I always had luck is networking. I remember in my 20's, with a stack of resumes I went knocking door to door to door. Probably over 100 places total with zero luck. Ended up a friend of mines dad knew a company hiring and I got the job.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Re: Any advice for finding a job, tried CL, Monster,& Careerbuilder. Trying to reloca

Depending on where in cent. Fl unemployment is running about 15 percent so it's a mighty tough job field down here.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Do you know anyone in the area down there? Thats where I always had luck is networking. I remember in my 20's, with a stack of resumes I went knocking door to door to door. Probably over 100 places total with zero luck. Ended up a friend of mines dad knew a company hiring and I got the job.

I have some family there but they are all retirement age and thats about it. I appreciate the suggestion.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts

Figure out all the different businesses that would hire someone with your skill set in the area you are looking at and then start applying...you won't even have to leave the comfort of your chair. You will find something imho.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts

Try Indeed.com and also search on-line the newspapers around that area. North Central sounds like Lake City to Jax? What field are you interested in?

I believe we are opening a warehouse around Jax and it will probably have a limited service department.

·
Registered
373 Posts

What kind of job are you looking for?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

I've been in the automotive field since I was 15 years old. I started in parts stores and moved into service. I'm looking for management, I have 25+ years experience in retail automotive.

·
Registered
287 Posts

floridas job market is in the trash right now.

·
Registered
7,220 Posts

according to our new govenor if you just move to fl it will create jobs. so come on down

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

floridas job market is in the trash right now.
Unfortunely that is what I'm seeing.... I really dont know what to do, cause I lost my job 5 months ago here and there isnt anything here either..........

·
Registered
3,778 Posts

move to texas.you can find something here. wel always need correctional officers.

·
Registered
29 Posts

I live in Orlando. Thankfully I have a job. I would not want to have to find one here right now. I have never seen it this bad. I have friends that have been looking for a real job for over three years now. They find the tyipcal $8.00 - $10.00 jobs, but they can't make it on those. Many people have just given up. However, if you can get credit for a house, we're giving then away right now. My cars are now worth more than my house!

·
Registered
605 Posts

I wish you luck.
Living in Michigan right now isn't exactly all roses eaither.
I dred the thought of looking for new work.
Ads I see for positions similar to mine are offering nearly nothing.
I see employers and recruiters "cherry picking" my area all the time. They know there are MASSES of folks starving here and ripe for their picking:(
GOOD LUCK man. If I had any leads, I would throw them out to you. I just blast my resume everywhere and anywhere that it seems fitting. Not sure if that is all good or bad, but I send 'em just in case.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

I live in Orlando. Thankfully I have a job. I would not want to have to find one here right now. I have never seen it this bad. I have friends that have been looking for a real job for over three years now. They find the tyipcal $8.00 - $10.00 jobs, but they can't make it on those. Many people have just given up. However, if you can get credit for a house, we're giving then away right now. My cars are now worth more than my house!
Yeah I cant believe all the "owner finance" options that are being offered. I found a 3 br house with a inground pool that was screened in and attached to the house for 64900. said house appraised for 167900 in 2007.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

I wish you luck.
Living in Michigan right now isn't exactly all roses eaither.
I dred the thought of looking for new work.
Ads I see for positions similar to mine are offering nearly nothing.
I see employers and recruiters "cherry picking" my area all the time. They know there are MASSES of folks starving here and ripe for their picking:(
GOOD LUCK man. If I had any leads, I would throw them out to you. I just blast my resume everywhere and anywhere that it seems fitting. Not sure if that is all good or bad, but I send 'em just in case.

Thanks for the good wishes, good luck to you also.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts