Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an 03 330 magnum 4x4 that stays in four wheel drive all the time, if the switch is off it still pulls all four wheels. I know the Rangers have like a limited slip, if the rears slip the fronts kick in, does this model do the same thing? You can't "play" in 2 wheel drive the fronts always pull, is there something wrong in the front diff.?

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is there any way to check voltage or ohm it out to see if it's bad?

·
Registered
190 Posts
You should be able to hear it trying to engage the dif. If you don't its more the likely the switch. You can test it with a multiimeter but they're not very expensive. Pm me if want me to shoot you a price on a new one. We have 2 polaris dealerships.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
By hubs are you talking about the the diff. housing? The actual hubs are just cv shafts on the outside, mabe something is going on in the front housing? I'd like for someone to say "yes" or "no" on if it is like a "limited slip" 4x4, our local Polaris dealer is a joke and I would trust anything they said. Really just trying to find out if this actual bike is setup to kick in to 4x4 when the rears slip or if something is going on up front, cause to me the switch is useless if it is supposed to act like it does, you don't need it, stays in all the time.

·
Registered
493 Posts
You should be able to hear it trying to engage the dif. If you don't its more the likely the switch. You can test it with a multiimeter but they're not very expensive. Pm me if want me to shoot you a price on a new one. We have 2 polaris dealerships.
you own 2 polaris dealerships and didnt tell him about the front hubs that polaris are notoriusly always pieces of shit?? dude check out the hillard clutch in each front hub, they are magnetic and they are junk usally. the front diff is always engaged and the hubs are what transmit the power when switched on

·
Registered
493 Posts
POLARIS = chinese parts assembled in the U.S. passed off to be american made,,,,, worked at a dealership for a few years and 4 out of 5 atv's in the shop were polaris's. Horrible engineering is the reason the are broke alot, buy a yamaha or honda if you want a good atv, we sold those too and they have better engineered parts and designs, we hardly ever had problems with them. Polaris should stick to sleds with their belt drive

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
I've had the AWD switch go out and the gear selector switch once. When the AWD switch went out it was locked in 4wd. When the selector switch went it out, it wouldn't go in 4wd.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I know the Rangers have like a limited slip, if the rears slip the fronts kick in, does this model do the same thing?
Yes, all Polaris models work in that way.
Although with the Ranger you have the option to lock the rear diff if you want.

The front hubs have (for lack of a better word) big roller bearings in them. These will wear over time and will engage the front diff even if the switch is not activated. Being as yours is an 03, it would not surprise me that the bearings are worn. I would definitely check the switch, but if it is good, my next step would be to replace the bearings in both front hubs. I worked at a Polaris dealership for a while years ago and saw this issue a few times. The front diff is a direct drive from the transmission. The diff is always turning under power. It is only when you turn the switch on for 4wd that the front will engage when the rear slips a 1/4 of a rotation. You can check this by jacking the 4 wheeler up in the air and running it in 2wd mode. The rear tires will turn and the front drive shafts(CV shafts) will turn but not the front tires. You can then switch it into 4wd and the front tires will start turning. If you have all 4 wheels turning when the ATV is in 2wd mode, I am sure you have some wear in the bearings in the front hubs.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Just replaced a four wheel drive switch on my 400 scrambler not too long ago too. Now the latest issue is it won't RPM when you give it gas. At first it lost all spark. I put a new CDI box (HOT BOX) for $40.00. It will idle all day long once you give it gas it bogs & then sometimes backfires. I tried another new box of E-bay (brand unknown) for another $40.00 & now it revs somewhat but still does it, but not as bad. Someone else told me I needed a Polaris CDI box or else it will do this. These are like $275.00+!!!! Is this going to fix the problem?

·
Dicking bimbos at home
15,189 Posts
Armature plates and garter springs. Magnetized plates will stick the front hubs. Check the rollers for flat spots. Clean hubs and fill. 22 ohms gray to brown wires on the magnet. Battery voltage on the chassis side.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Armature plates and garter springs. Magnetized plates will stick the front hubs. Check the rollers for flat spots. Clean hubs and fill. 22 ohms gray to brown wires on the magnet. Battery voltage on the chassis side.
What he said !!

·
Registered
190 Posts
you own 2 polaris dealerships and didnt tell him about the front hubs that polaris are notoriusly always pieces of shit?? dude check out the hillard clutch in each front hub, they are magnetic and they are junk usally. the front diff is always engaged and the hubs are what transmit the power when switched on

The armature plates were mentioned to him in a PM so calm down there Slick.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks everyone for the replys, my internet went out for a few days and I couldn't reply, I'm very busy at the moment, but hopefully I'll get a chance to tear into this within a a few weeks and see what I come up with, I'll be back on here to let you know what I find/fix, thanks again. Also just to clear things up now everyone keeps saying front "hubs" now are you speaking of them being in the front housing? My axles leave the front housing as a short knuckle with a U-joint, then on the outside, wheel side, they have cv joints with boots, nothing on the actual shaft has anyway of locking the 4x4. it is splined on the wheel side so any 4x4 action has to come from the front diff.

·
Dicking bimbos at home
15,189 Posts
The hilliard is in the front diff. Could also be a broken roller cage.

·
Registered
7 Posts
my 500 scrambler hubs wouldnt unlock and come to find out the previous owner filled them with 90w gear oil. took em apart, cleaned em, put in the right fluid and all is well

1 - 20 of 21 Posts