Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
T/S 368E
34,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Just bought into a barn find, and we found these things???

Tire Motor vehicle Textile Chair Automotive design
Cloud Motor vehicle Automotive tire Sky Wood

• Haha
Reactions: midnightbluS10

·
T/S 368E
34,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Electrical wiring Telephone Gas
Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Plant

·
T/S 368E
34,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

So the 2nd one has a built in continuity tester???

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
We were trained how to use them in high school automotive class. If I remember correctly they are used to find magnetic shorts or opens in starter armatures.

·
Registered
10,773 Posts
We used these in electric shop class with a hack saw blade.……. NEVER used a growler once I was out of high school shop class.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Could use a test light and a set of jumper cables connected to a battery and the armature....

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
We used these in electric shop class with a hack saw blade.……. NEVER used a growler once I was out of high school shop class.
Same here because at the time all the parts houses had the machines that you mounted the gen , starter or alternator in and ran them. No need for disassembly.

·
Registered
373 Posts
In truth, a growler. The first time I saw one, as a teen-ager, the starter in my car had packed up. My Dad's uncle, who had an electric motor rebuilding shop, told me to come over to his house and then remove the starter. We tore the starter apart and then went to a place he knew that rebuilt automotive starters and generators. They used a growler to ascertain that the armature was faulty and got one from the far back room for us. We reassembled the starter and I re-installed it.

The car was a '53 Merc. For those of you who don't go back that far, the engine was a flathead. The car was about five years old at the time.

KS

·
Registered
43,439 Posts
I have one of those growlers somewhere. It was my brother's so it's been in the family about 60 years, never been used to my knowledge and is in great shape. LOL

·
Aviation Section
26,904 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts