Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
with a 4link car with anti roll bar should the car be set up with the anti roll bar un hooked.driver seated and any preload on upper right 4 link set then just attach bolts through anti roll bar so they go through easy with driver still seated.this sound right?.thanks sean

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Yes. you can bolt up the driver side then set everything up. when everything is good hook up the passenger side so the bolt slides through easily. Then just adjust it up just a hair to get the slop out. But dont raise it enough to put any more weight on the RR. :)

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
While setting up the 4-link I leave the car about 5-10 pounds light on the right rear, I will then hook up the links and lengthen the right side link to add the 5-10 lbs, that will get rid of all the play and preload it just a small amount

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
5-10 lbs usually only takes about a turn to a turn and a half after the slop is removed with most ARB. I like to know how much weight is being moved instead of just "Taking up the slack" with some of the new monster ARB they move weight real quick..

I have seen some though that you can hardly move any weight with

·
Read Only
0 Posts
I was messing around with mine last night with the car on scales. If I adjusted the right ARB downlink upwards until it removed 1 lb from the RR, then gave it one full turn it increased the RR weight by 21 lbs. I was really surprised.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
I was messing around with mine last night with the car on scales. If I adjusted the right ARB downlink upwards until it removed 1 lb from the RR, then gave it one full turn it increased the RR weight by 21 lbs. I was really surprised.
That is why I use 5-10 lbs.

What size is your bar?? and how wide is it..

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
Any rear end work should be done with the suspension hanging, with a floor jack and a piece of wood or metal under the wheelie bar wheels JUST SLIGHTLY to take the wieght of the wheelie bars up.
Do any 4-link adjustments with niether side of the anti-roll in. Once your done, adjust anti-roll so that bolts slide right in with no forcing.
Kyle

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
Bigger outside diameter, length of bar and arm length all determine the bar's rate. Yes rate, they are actually a spring straightened out to a torsion bar.The bigger diameter, shorter length and shorter length arm the stiffer they are and will transfer weight faster and store less in the bar. They can also effect tire compliance when one wheel hits a divet. Don't forget to put the driver in when you set bar at the end of every change on suspension. Setting neutral is best.

How they work is this. They are the Robbin Hood of springs, They steal from the rich and give to the poor. If you have extra stored energy from weight on one side, it splits and evens it out to the other wheel. If one side compresses both sides will and if one side separates, both sides will. While there is no guarantee it will transfer weight evenly from one side to the other, if not all, at least most, depending on bar size and arm..

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Any rear end work should be done with the suspension hanging, with a floor jack and a piece of wood or metal under the wheelie bar wheels JUST SLIGHTLY to take the wieght of the wheelie bars up.
Do any 4-link adjustments with niether side of the anti-roll in. Once your done, adjust anti-roll so that bolts slide right in with no forcing.
Kyle

???????????????????????????????????????????????????
Every single chassis tuner I have ever spoken to says ALL setup should be done on scales at race weight. Hard to set proeload on a hanging suspension isnt it? So all wheelie bar weight is wiped right out of all the equation?

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
We use a simulated tire, which is basically a flat plate, with a gazillion holes in it, which slides on another flat plate with holes in it. At the top of this plate, is the wheel lug pattern, and at the bottom of the other plate is a flat platform. Setting the car on these, allows you to get under the car, and see everything, without the bulk of the tire being there.
This way you are, in essence at race weight. Theres ways to do it on the jacks as well with the suspension hanging...ever notice pro stock guys under the car, while its on the jacks...??
Maybe Im giving away too much of the trade secrets or something. HAHA.
Back to the anti-roll...do your adjustment, and then make the anti-roll arms the right length, so the bolts slide right in.
Kyle

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Please...... trade secrets..... setting up a rear with it hanging.......:rolleyes:

So you are saying that you set stuff up with plate tires, not hanging. You make adjustments you know need to be made with it hanging. Kind of different than your original advice. :)

·
Registered
729 Posts
If all of the reaction to the driveshaft torque...taken at the transmission/engine mounts...fed back to the rear axle through the suspension springs, the driveshaft torque would be completely canceled, the rear wheels would be equally loaded, the front end would rise evenly and everything would be hunky-dory. (How about that? The spell checker accepted "hunky-dory" but wouldn't accept "driveshaft." Go figure!) Anyway, all of these neat things aren't going to happen because the front suspension has some roll stiffness and, while some of the torque reaction goes to the rear, much of it goes to the front. In other words, it's split in proportion to the roll stiffness. All the ARB does is change the roll stiffness ratio so that a greater portion goes to the rear. While the ARB means a big improvement in launch performance, it can't do it all since there's always some roll stiffness remaining at the front. So, you're still going to need some preload to equalize rear tire loading. The best way to determine just how much preload is to hook the car up to a traction dyno.

·
Registered
3,772 Posts
Please...... trade secrets..... setting up a rear with it hanging.......:rolleyes:

So you are saying that you set stuff up with plate tires, not hanging. You make adjustments you know need to be made with it hanging. Kind of different than your original advice. :)
I do all my adjustments with the housing hanging.What's the difference?

·
Registered
3,772 Posts
with a 4link car with anti roll bar should the car be set up with the anti roll bar un hooked.driver seated and any preload on upper right 4 link set then just attach bolts through anti roll bar so they go through easy with driver still seated.this sound right?.thanks sean
Correct

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Does Billy talk over anyone elses Head...

I have enjoyed reading his site, although I dont know that I would put some of the information to use.. It has definitley made me think!

Mister Shope, are there any ProMods or ProStocker you are currently helping with?

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.