Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
49,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There have been some claiming that their timing light wasn't "accurate".

How do you tell if your timing light is accurate?

Is there a gauge or tester of some sorts to tell if a timing light is accurate?

Can a timing light be calibrated?

Who repairs timing lights?

·
Registered
7,744 Posts
As I have stated on the other timing light thread, I have two lights both top brands & they read differently, I do not know which, or if either are accurate. To test accuracy I guess you would need several & see how many read the same & call those right. Can't answer your other questions

·
Premium Member
49,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Use the light you tune/dyno with. Don't be swapping timing lights.
Unfortunately that light shit the bed. That is one of the reasons for the last question.

·
Registered
33,118 Posts
Connect several timing lights at once and compare them to each other. The one showing the most advance has the least delay and so will have the least inaccuracy as RPM increases. In other words, the light with the least delay between the pulse in the plug wire and the flash of the light has less deviation as RPM increases. As the electronics in timing lights become more complex the slew rate of each electrical component is added and increases the delay from plug firing to light flash. Not all transistors are created equal, some are faster than others. The fastest light is closest to truth.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Hard to believe nobody tests/calibrates something this important, could be a business opportunity for one of you tech savvy guys on here.

·
Wild Addiction
2,299 Posts
i am not sure if calibrating is that important, all motors run with different timing, there is no magic number and no 2 motors are the same, if you set it with one light and it read 30* and your new one says 31*, then 31* is the number, motors will run the best with what ever it wants,....i am sure a ton of you will disagree but it's just my $0.02

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
I have a Ferret Instruments timing light. Digital dial back to zero kind. Works perfectly. I checked it's accuracy by mechanically setting my timing (crank trigger), then shining the light on the marks to see if they line up where it was set. With the light at zero advance and the engine above 3k rpm, it shows the timing mark as the same place I put it on the balancer. With it set at the amount of advance I was running, the two marks would line up perfectly....That's how I know to check them....works for me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts