Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a new to me T400 with a pro tree brake. I hooked up the transbrake and tried it this weekend. The problem is the solenoid is sticking engaged. You put the shifter in neutral, apply the button, reverse kicks in and backs up fine, release the button and it stays engaged. You have to pull it back into 2nd or high gear to get it to release. Same thing goes for low gear. Put it in low, hit the button, bring it up on the 2-step, release the button and nothing, just sits there on the chip until you let off and pull it back into high gear. After that everything works fine.

Here are some pics for reference, sorry for the bad vb pics, those are kind of a pain. No idea on what kind of VB it is, looks like a stock one to me.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After doing some more searching around it appears to be a BTE VB. Looking at their instructions it shows the same solenoid. Also, this has gaskets between the VB, separator plate, and case like shown in their kit but not others I've looked at. http://www.bteracing.com/files/ProductImages/BTE%20401500.pdf

Also, I wasn't aware until more recently that using the reverse gear position to back up was hard on the trans. I've read some different instructions for T400 transbrakes and some say neutral with button, some say neutral or reverse, this BTE I don't see where it says anything about it. Could this cause the issues? Fluid smells just slightly burnt but looks great and there was just a little more "material" in the pan than I would call normal. The filter looked OK too.

·
Registered
357 Posts
MY EYES MIGHT BE PLAYING TRICKS ON ME BUT IT LOOKS LIKE YOUR MANUAL VALVE IS NOT IN THE CORRECT POSITION ON THE
SELECTOR COMBE,ACORDING TO YOUR LAST TWO PICTURES.
BUT I COULD BE WRONG,IT SHOULD BE IN THE FIRST SLOT ON THE MANUAL VALVE!!.
ANYONE ELSE SEE THAT,

·
Registered
148 Posts
MY EYES MIGHT BE PLAYING TRICKS ON ME BUT IT LOOKS LIKE YOUR MANUAL VALVE IS NOT IN THE CORRECT POSITION ON THE
SELECTOR COMBE,ACORDING TO YOUR LAST TWO PICTURES.
BUT I COULD BE WRONG,IT SHOULD BE IN THE FIRST SLOT ON THE MANUAL VALVE!!.
ANYONE ELSE SEE THAT,
It does look like that .Was thinking the same thing!Tci brakes look something to that one also.

·
Super Moderator
19,777 Posts
Looks like a TCI brake to me. Make sure the round nut on the end of the solenoid plunger has not come loose(looks like its backed off a bit). Polish the valve lands and reinstall. The valve looks a little scratchy on the lands , you may be fighting debris in the system or the return spring is getting cocked in the valve bore and interfering with the valve.

Hutch

·
Registered
781 Posts
Take the brake spool valve a put a nice round chamfer on the smallest outside land, this would be the end that goes in first. The bore area of the case wears from the modulator valve movement in the case. Also get a stock modulator valve and work it in the bore with no spring and you will feel where the case is sticky, use the stock valve to free up the burr, once the stock valve moves freely than the brake valve should be tested with no spring to move freely. Use a pocket magnet or needle nose pliers to move it in and out. It should pop out of the case with the spring installed when you push it in witth your finger and release it.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK, I did have to use needle nose pliers to pull the valve out. I'll polish it up and see if I can get it to slide in and out freely. I'll also double check the manual valve. The trans works great other than this though. Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
781 Posts
I'll also double check the manual valve.
The manual valve is installed on the pin correctly. Trans is in park in the pic and the pin moves down the groove of the valve as it slide fore and aft. That specific manual valve has no second groove in it anyway so it could not be installed wrong...
Work on getting the valve free.....

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
After doing some more searching around it appears to be a BTE VB. Looking at their instructions it shows the same solenoid. Also, this has gaskets between the VB, separator plate, and case like shown in their kit but not others I've looked at. http://www.bteracing.com/files/ProductImages/BTE 401500.pdf

Also, I wasn't aware until more recently that using the reverse gear position to back up was hard on the trans. I've read some different instructions for T400 transbrakes and some say neutral with button, some say neutral or reverse, this BTE I don't see where it says anything about it. Could this cause the issues? Fluid smells just slightly burnt but looks great and there was just a little more "material" in the pan than I would call normal. The filter looked OK too.
I have the tci pro brake and had problems. I was never told to put the car in reverse and also hold the button to back up. My car would engage reverse w/o pushing the button so I thought everything was ok. After it took a shit i was told that i had to hold the button in reverse to have the correct pressure. So far so good.

Good Luck

·
Registered
357 Posts
YEP THAT BRAND OF BRAKE NORMALY ONLY HAS 100-PSI IN THE REVERSE SHIFTER GATE.YOU DO HAVE TO PRESS T/B BUTTON TO GET FULL REV APPLY.
IF NOT TRANS WILL EVENTUALY BURN UP A FEW ITEMS .
AFTER A FEW TIMES.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Back from the dead. I finally got time to mess with this thing today. I polished up the valve and put it back together. Valve will activate and release as fast as you can hit the button now. Drove it around town and to a car show. Seems A-OK. I'll post the results after racing tomorrow.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts