Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I am building a 63 Nova with a 380" sbc and twin 76's. I am putting a Jeffco 3 speed behind it. Split mono's, Affco d/a rears on a 275 radial. I have read a few different post's and some say a drag radial won't work with a stick, some say it will :confused:. Is there really that much of a difference between dumping the clutch or releasing a trans brake on a radial? Or is there more of a problem between shifts? This is a clutchless set up so maybe it's a little more forgiving?:rolleyes: Don't plan on setting any records, just have some fun. Thanks in advance. Jim

·
Registered
620 Posts
That is the conclusion that i came to. I read of all the fast 60's on mt 295-45-17, so i bought a pair. After i couldn't make them hook, i find that all the fast times were with autos. Looking for slicks now.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. Again, was the issue a starting line problem or a gear change problem. I am still having a hard time believing that a trans brake is that much different than a clutch. I don't want to beat a dead horse, I'm just sayin:smt102

·
Registered
620 Posts
Not an expert... But it would seem that if the clutch was dialed in right, allowing the right amount of slip, a dr should hook the same as a auto trans.

·
Registered
620 Posts
IF they are already bought and mounted hit that. If not, think slicks. I am wishing i would have bought slicks instead.

·
Registered
754 Posts
in the same boat.

I just purchased a set of Et streets 28x11.50

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am running wore out 275/50/15DRs bfg g-force t/a's the old thread pattern (slightly less than 26"s) i have a tko 500, zoom clutch, blah blah blah. I leave the line at around 3000 with my 86 notch. I dont hardly ever do a burn out, just turn them over to clean them. I am running 1.68-1.72 60s on worn tires. Its usually trial and error on tires and what pressures. Mine have little side wall so I can run them at alot low psi. I run mine usually around 13-15 depends on track heat. I am going to purchase some 275/60/15DRs for the state championship at Ceneterville. I will have to start all over on the learning the attitude of the car. Every car is different. If I spray it, thats a different story. No matter what gear or time of spray I still feel them turn over.

Ofcourse im just running a lil 347 with a full daily driverish car.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
IF they are already bought and mounted hit that. If not, think slicks. I am wishing i would have bought slicks instead.

I don't have them yet, just some worn out mock ups. Nothing is really set in stone. I am planning on driving the thing on the street also, so the radial seemed to be the best choice. Not to mention how good they work.

·
Registered
29,520 Posts
I couldn't get M/T ET streets 325/50/15's to hook. Tried pressure from 20psi down to 12psi.If they did hook at a low RPM, they would just unload after I mashed it. Never had a problem down track shifting, just the launch. went from 1.8x to 2.xx on average. put 10.5 slicks on and have gotten 1.6X so far, but I know there is more to be had. Only got two runs in before track said to get a roll bar installed. Atleast I can still use them for street driving.

·
Registered
29,520 Posts
I'm no help there. I'm running the M/T M5 compound, but being a 63 nova I think a stiffwall will not work as good. Most people use them in heaveir cars.

·
Registered
754 Posts
does M/T have a tire with a compound formulated for manual cars?

·
Registered
874 Posts
With my car, it's the launch when I need the slick.
D/R where flat out scary on my car.
For a good 60 foot my car needs a little wheel speed at the start, just a turn or two then recover and hook. Radials can't do that, they need to dead hook, or they spin and don't recover.

See vid in my sig, thats a 28 x 10.5W mt with a tube to stiffen the SW. Or use the 10.5 S it has a stiff SW. Clutch cars like a stiff wall.

---Bill.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts