Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 276 Posts

·
Registered
21,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is now serious. Giuseppe Gentile exploded a brand new Precision 94 turbo in Vegas last weekend on the first semi full pass(driver pedalled it to regain traction) on the unit. It had not even reached full boost when it blew. The shrapenal did serious damage to the body and front chassis. A piece also punctured the fuel cell but he was lucky enough to avoid the fire that consumed the Lynch Corvette. It did puncture the RR slick and if the car would have been on a good pass it would have been a huge factor. On this failure it was clearly the exhaust turbine that failed in a big way. IMO the new SS housings are worthless until Precision gets their wheel issue sorted out. This was a brand new turbo that had been acquired only a few weeks ago.

·
Registered
672 Posts
This problem is only occurring on the big turbos correct? Im looking to buy a 76mm in the next few weeks and all this is giving me reason to be concerned... I sure had my heart set on a precision but now im not so sure...

·
Regulator
35,577 Posts
orsini blowed up about 7 of them!!!!!

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
IMO the new SS housings are worthless until Precision gets their wheel issue sorted out. This was a brand new turbo that had been acquired only a few weeks ago.
Whats the "SS" housing and when did they start using them

·
Registered
21,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Whats the "SS" housing and when did they start using them

Precison has them in the works to swap for the standard ones. They are not available yet. However, if the turbines keep coming apart it's a moot point. I heard that Garret cut Precision's turbine supply off and Precision is now making their own. Hmmmmm! Does anyone one else here love fried rice?

·
Eddie Haskell
7,849 Posts
Sounds like a problem with exceeding rated wheel speed. Is there blow offs on the compressor outlet pipe to the throttle body?

·
Registered
22,718 Posts
In on 1. I know NHRA tech is very interested in this topic and was asking turbo cars about this issue at Indy.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Precision has been making their own parts for over a year or more......

so how many failures have their been?

how many different people?

what sizes?

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Precison has them in the works to swap for the standard ones. They are not available yet. However, if the turbines keep coming apart it's a moot point. I heard that Garret cut Precision's turbine supply off and Precision is now making their own. Hmmmmm! Does anyone one else here love fried rice?

Hold on here a minute. If you look at the other thread about Tim's issue, Harry from PTE stated that the issue pre-dated the switch from Garrett wheels to in house wheels. Let's keep the facts straight.

·
I have a liter of cola
7,101 Posts
Hold on here a minute. If you look at the other thread about Tim's issue, Harry from PTE stated that the issue pre-dated the switch from Garrett wheels to in house wheels. Let's keep the facts straight.
Fair enough...but what have they been doing wrong then?

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Fair enough...but what have they been doing wrong then?
$64,000 question right there. Hope PTE figures it out in a hurry, and I have to believe it is their #1 priority right now.

Also, remember that PTE has the majority of the turbos out there, so when there is a problem, it's going to look proportionally larger than it is.

Just trying to keep the torches and pitchforks at bay while PTE works out the issue.

·
Registered
21,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Is that what Harry said? Has anyone heard of ANY Garret turbo blowing apart? I don't know that's why I'm asking. I've personally witnessed 2 Precision turbos fail like hand grenades. One this past weekend with the Gentile car and 1 on the Sikora car that I sponsor.

·
الكتاب ا
6,697 Posts
Here's my take... and this is after having been in "turbos" for a while:

It's a performance aftermarket part. There is some risk a racer must assume when putting any sort of contraption on his/her car that potentially spins 100k RPM, no matter what said contraption does or who manufactures it.

In this case, where it is mentioned that the "driver pedalled it to regain traction," I believe it's important to mention that a turbo undergoes some extremely dynamic changes in pressure and speed when the throttle is open and closed rapidly and repeatedly... The air can act like a hammer on the turbine and compressor. The part may not be entirely to blame here.

·
Registered
6,307 Posts
Gentile runs twins correct? Any damage to the second turbo? Sure dont want to see anyone get hurt from this. Hopefully Harry figures out whats been happening.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Precision needs to step up to the fuckin plate on this one. This is complete bullshit and they know it. Fix the problem and fix these people cars on Precisions dime.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Is that what Harry said? Has anyone heard of ANY Garret turbo blowing apart? I don't know that's why I'm asking. I've personally witnessed 2 Precision turbos fail like hand grenades. One this past weekend with the Gentile car and 1 on the Sikora car that I sponsor.

Yes, posted here: http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/showpost.php?p=7167444&postcount=307

The turbine wheels on Tim’s car were "Garrett", At least that is what we shipped. Several other recent failed units were Garrett’s as well. That is not to say it is- or not a Garrett problem…

1 - 20 of 276 Posts