Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, Looking for some tuneup advice. This is my first attempt at cutting plugs apart to check them. These plugs have 3 1/8 mile passes on them. The car was towed to the lanes and back to the pits on all 3 passes. The first pass, it spun the tires 6 feet into the pass and I aborted the pass and drove part throttle till I was off the track. Hope that does not screw up the reading on these plugs. :confused:

24* Victor headed 509bbc, nitrous cam, 1050cfm Quickfuel carb in a 3450lb door car.
Single stage NS fogger 32N-24F, 5.4 lbs flowed though a .073 jet
Base timing is 36* pulling -12* (-6* with crank trigger and -6* with MSD 7530 box) so 24 degrees total
R5671A-9 NGK's, VP C16

On the last pass, I added .3* of timing so 24.3 degrees total and the car picked up 1mph.

It looks fairly fat to me. I'm unsure about timing and heat in the plugs. For what it's worth, the two full passes were the two quickest passes the car has ever made.

·
Registered
7,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Next time only make one pass on the plugs until you get the tune figured out .
Ok, I'll do that going forward. I'm pretty new at trying to tune my nitrous setup and trying to learn all I can. I'll take any advise I can get. Thanks

·
Registered
824 Posts
I would go to a -10 plug. It sounds like you have the phasing off by the way you described your timing? Base timing is not at 36 anymore if you moved the crank trigger. That might be where you are still phased, which is not good.

I would change plugs, pull a couple more degrees, and then lean it out. But before you pull any more timing, make sure the distributor is phased around 26 degrees.

·
eats paint chips
1,923 Posts
Hi Ron, congrats on the PB it looks like you have the car leaving nice from the vid. Give me a shout when you get free. 352-593-5900 I will leave for Georgia later today but will be here most of the day. Don't take any more timing out of this, it will get you in trouble. You are not far away from where you need to be, you need single run plugs for sure tho.
P.S. you forgot to tell everyone where you race. It will help them understand your E.T and timing numbers lol :-D
PK

·
Registered
7,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would go to a -10 plug. It sounds like you have the phasing off by the way you described your timing? Base timing is not at 36 anymore if you moved the crank trigger. That might be where you are still phased, which is not good.

I would change plugs, pull a couple more degrees, and then lean it out. But before you pull any more timing, make sure the distributor is phased around 26 degrees.

Thanks, I will double check the rotor phasing but I believe it's phased for 24*. I figured I needed to take 12* out for the .032 jet so I split the difference, 6 on the crank trigger and 6 in the msd box.

As requested by PK, we race in Denver Co at Bandimere and the DA was over 8500' for the passes in question. It's kinda hard to make them run up here when we don't have any air. :p

I will be sure to just make one hit on the plugs before pulling time next time. I did check all 8 after every pass but I didn't replace them. For some reason I had it in my head that I had read that the fuel ring needed a couple of passes to get a correct reading so that's why I ran them 3 passes. Thanks for all the advice guys, I'm just trying to learn. :D

·
Registered
822 Posts
Thanks, I will double check the rotor phasing but I believe it's phased for 24*. I figured I needed to take 12* out for the .032 jet so I split the difference, 6 on the crank trigger and 6 in the msd box.

As requested by PK, we race in Denver Co at Bandimere and the DA was over 8500' for the passes in question. It's kinda hard to make them run up here when we don't have any air. :p

I will be sure to just make one hit on the plugs before pulling time next time. I did check all 8 after every pass but I didn't replace them. For some reason I had it in my head that I had read that the fuel ring needed a couple of passes to get a correct reading so that's why I ran them 3 passes. Thanks for all the advice guys, I'm just trying to learn. :D
It's not about "how much" u pull, its about the total timing when kit is on. That's why most set base anywhere from 25 - 30* then pull lesser amounts
To get to total

·
Registered
7,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's not about "how much" u pull, its about the total timing when kit is on. That's why most set base anywhere from 25 - 30* then pull lesser amounts
To get to total
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think we are both saying the same thing but I used different words. :p I figured that 24* of timing with a .032 jet would be a safe place to start. Based upon that, I set the crank trigger timing to 30* and then used the MSD to pull 6* so my total with the kit on is 24*. Sorry if I mis-used "base timing" as I was thinking that base timing would be the number that the engine made the best power at N/A.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think we are both saying the same thing but I used different words. :p I figured that 24* of timing with a .032 jet would be a safe place to start. Based upon that, I set the crank trigger timing to 30* and then used the MSD to pull 6* so my total with the kit on is 24*. Sorry if I mis-used "base timing" as I was thinking that base timing would be the number that the engine made the best power at N/A.
Agreed

1 - 20 of 23 Posts