Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
howsit guys...I have a 396(stock forged rods\crank) and was told it had some je's. Upon tear down I found it has trw's (#L2242-.060). Im hesitant to use the TRW's and would prefer a quality piston. Its gonna get hit with 300-400 through 2 stages. Can anyone give me any info on these trw's and any recommendations for a "budget" off the shelf piston? I know the pistons are atleast 5-6yrs old. I dont know if this is when TRW forgings were decnt or what. If my measurements are correct, the first ring is down .300 and the dome height is approx. .267 Second ring is down about .23 from the top ring. Im an import guy and this is my first domestic build, so bare with my ignorance please...Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
5,403 Posts
The RPM's are not what I am worried about,, spraying 300-400 & 2 stages on stock production stuff is not a good idea in my book. If you going to freshen it up, spend the time and money for new pistons, why not bite the bullet, put some new good stuff in and get the whole rotating assembly balanced? Some might asy it is alright but I am anal about putting together and strong short block as windowing the block and/or oil pan is not my idea of a good time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LOL...coming from the Honda world I am no stranger to hanging a rod outside the block, but in all honesty this is not a car I plan on keeping long and its hard to justify another 2k in parts when I plan on selling it by the end of the year. and if for some reason I did decide to keep it, from my understanding the bore in a 396 is just too small. I would be better investing into a 454 block or something...am I right on this? I dont neccessarily need to spray that amount, the plan is to build a 9.50 radial car. So whatever it takes to get me there. I appreciate the input!!!

·
"Darkness"
4,942 Posts
Just run it and sneak up on it. I thought the stock forged BBC stuff was ok for mild performance? I would think a well tuned 300 shot would be ok on those pistons. Make sure the ring gaps are right.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Back in the day i had a 427 stock block, stock steel crank, stock rods w/ arp bolts, and twr 11.5:1 pistons and i blasted 400hp through a fogger on it lived for 2 years. As a matter of fact its still running today in my dads car as a n/a set up.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
You wont hurt the crank if its the factory forged unit. The rods are a question mark if they are 3/8" bolts. Put bolts in atleast. TRW's are a tough piston. Set the gaps and run what you have. You get the tune wrong and youll grenade a good set just as easy as your TRW's.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thats pretty much the same impression I got with the stock forged stuff, but again I dont know much. I just know the new trw's are junk from what Ive seen in some mustang stuff Ive done. After talkin with my machinist hes able to get me a killer deal on some probe's. He feels that the lighter piston will help with the keeping everything kosher. The rods do have arp's but I think they are the 3\8's.

anyone have any feed back on the probe stuff?

thanks again for everyone's input.

·
Revolution Is My Name
20,381 Posts
I don't think you will hurt it. 300 on a big block is not like 300 on a honda. If you have a handle on the tune, you are good.

At 6000-6500 you will melt the pistons before you throw rods. Keep an eye on the spark plugs and you will never hurt the motor.

·
ls1 s/s notch on 28s
25,925 Posts
i would use the crank if ist a forged part from gm and then just buy some eagle rods and piston setup and spray that mother..not 2gs in parts maybe 1000$ or lil better

·
Registered
5,403 Posts
LOL...I think i need to move to NY, apparently money grows on trees over there!:smt082:smt082
It does, doesn't it where you live?

For the guys that say stock stuff is ok here is my reason for suggesting he beef/change the bottom end.
In SPOOLEDCRXB18 first post on this thread he states "I have a 396(stock forged rods\crank) and was told it had some je's. That tells me he did not build the motor and does not know exactly what is in it. That being say I am a fan of putting quality stuff in and than he will know exactly what it has.

And more importantly he is or used to be a Honda guy, now he wants 8 cylinders on spray, guess 4 cylinders just wasn't enough.. don't we have to bust on the new guy?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks everyone for your guys' input. Its really appreciated. Uncle Paul brings up a good point. Is there any casting numbers or tell-tales that I can verify this a factory steel crank\rods. I might pony up and get a set of eagle rods since Im gonna have to rebalance the rotating ass. anyways with the new slugs. If I was, whats the limit on the steel cranks? Would I be able to push 9.1X's or faster or would I still be limited to my current goal of 9.50's

thanks again...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts