Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just got this "bulletin" at work today;
Starting in the late '90's slect new vehicles were equipped wth TPMS (tire pressure monitor system) sensors. the NHTSA mandated full compliance from all vehicle manufacturers that all new vehicles must be equipped with TPMS sensors. today TPMS sensors are commonly replaced due to battery failure and average battery life is @5 - 7 years, (other reasons are corrosion and accidental damage)..... 5 -7 years battery life out of TPMS???
who's bright idea was this and why:confused:

·
Registered
986 Posts
Day late and a dollar short. It was mandated for all new vehicles back in 08 came about after the idiots at Firestone and Ford were pointing fingers at each other and the end consumer for not checking thier tires. The goverment figured we are too stupid to check the tires ourselves so better make the cars do it for us.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Day late and a dollar short. It was mandated for all new vehicles back in 08 came about after the idiots at Firestone and Ford were pointing fingers at each other and the end consumer for not checking thier tires. The goverment figured we are too stupid to check the tires ourselves so better make the cars do it for us.

X2!

·
102,312 Posts
Excellent post.

Wonder if stop signs and stop lights got their chance the same way? Oh yeah that's right, stop signs are for the stupid. I mean everyone approaches a 4 way and refused to look both ways before crossing. Hence the invention of stop signs.

·
Registered
986 Posts
The sad part about it is so many places (our shop included) will check someones tires for them for free if they don't know how or don't own a pressure gauge. We also check them on every oil change, brake service, or suspension service. You would be suprised how many vehicles tires are 5-10lbs low.

·
Registered
8,462 Posts
The ones on my new Wrangler have aluminum stems which are prone to leaking. I have to add air to l.r. tire every few weeks.(I'm too stubborn/cheap to replace it!)

·
Registered
385 Posts
I work for a GM dealer and I'd have to say we replace on average 10-12 sensors a week. And yes you guys are right, now when the tire pressure monitor light comes on, the customer thinks there's aproblem with the system when in actuality the tire is just low on pressure. This is really frustrating to deal with and causes extra work for nothing when all they had to do is read the owners manual and see that they should just check the pressure not visit the dealer!:smt071:smt100

·
Registered
946 Posts
TPMS is/are a pain in the azz

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
goverment made it mandatory a year or two ago.. pain in the ass i reset a million of those sensors for free because the quick lube couldnt figure it out. think they were like 50-100 a piece when i worked for gm.. seen alot of ppl break em off on the low profile tires.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts