Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
5.0 stroked 4.6 mod motor. Twin 6566 journal precisions, from oil pump -4 feed to Y fitting, then -3 to turbos with vibrant restrictors. Return is -10 to a individual reservoirs from turbos to T fitting from turbos to turbowerks exa pump to pan. Smoking like freight train via exhaust.

I have tried removing vibrant oil restrictors and putting a turbosmart oil pressure regulator inplace of Y fitting and then no oil feeds to turbos. FML...

Oil pressure cold is about 60 psi, operating temp is about 45psi.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,722 Posts
I don't think you will get it to work properly with the reservoirs like that. It appears in the pictures that the reservoirs tilt downward toward the inlet from the turbo. If that indeed is the case, you will either have air at the high side, which is the outlet of the reservoir, or you will have the reservoir full of oil. No bueno. That oil out of the turbo (which also seems to have a bit of angle to it all by itself) needs to free fall. If there is oil residing in the reservoir at the inlet, that freefall oil has to somehow push the oil out of the way to keep the drain tube empty. So you are using oil pressure to push oil from the turbo, to the reservoir. Any backpressure in the drain tube can encourage the oil to escape around the bearing into the exhaust.

If you can just tilt the ass end of the reservoir considerably down, and the pump keeps the reservoir mostly empty, this set up could work. As long as the main housing rotation isn't at too much of an angle.

·
Registered
6,722 Posts
It could just be the way the picture looks.
But also, are your cold side clamps tight? Off topic I know. But they look like they may be loose.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
I agree the angle looks screwed up. Did you try directly connecting lines to turbo drain to pump?

The vented reservoir works great when done right but needs to be more vertical and keep the pump suction side filling up. Check valve on the turbo inlet pressure side to help stop backfilling after shutdown should also be included

·
Registered
6,722 Posts
If it does it at idle, and easy test would be to stick a darned heater hose on each turbo in the driveway and stick the hose in a bucket. If it doesn't smoke, you know the oil is stacking up. Or simply take the inlet of the reservoir off and see if oil drains out. If it does, for sure that situation isn't going to work.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It could just be the way the picture looks.
But also, are your cold side clamps tight? Off topic I know. But they look like they may be loose.

Yes, they are loose as intended... I was checking impeller end play...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't think you will get it to work properly with the reservoirs like that. It appears in the pictures that the reservoirs tilt downward toward the inlet from the turbo. If that indeed is the case, you will either have air at the high side, which is the outlet of the reservoir, or you will have the reservoir full of oil. No bueno. That oil out of the turbo (which also seems to have a bit of angle to it all by itself) needs to free fall. If there is oil residing in the reservoir at the inlet, that freefall oil has to somehow push the oil out of the way to keep the drain tube empty. So you are using oil pressure to push oil from the turbo, to the reservoir. Any backpressure in the drain tube can encourage the oil to escape around the bearing into the exhaust.

If you can just tilt the ass end of the reservoir considerably down, and the pump keeps the reservoir mostly empty, this set up could work. As long as the main housing rotation isn't at too much of an angle.
It is as close to vertical as it would allow... I understand the angle could create the pump to not pull fluid... the outlet is not centered as the infeed of reservoir...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Are you
I agree the angle looks screwed up. Did you try directly connecting lines to turbo drain to pump?

The vented reservoir works great when done right but needs to be more vertical and keep the pump suction side filling up. Check valve on the turbo inlet pressure side to help stop backfilling after shutdown should also be included
Are you referring to check valve between oil drain on turbo and reservoir? What is recommended?

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Turbo inlet pressure side. Just any oneway low psi cracking type valve would help fight drain back issues but not saying thats a cause, just that it can fill up the cavity after shut down and seep into the exhaust side to burn off later

·
Registered
196 Posts
5.0 stroked 4.6 mod motor. Twin 6566 journal precisions, from oil pump -4 feed to Y fitting, then -3 to turbos with vibrant restrictors. Return is -10 to a individual reservoirs from turbos to T fitting from turbos to turbowerks exa pump to pan. Smoking like freight train via exhaust.

I have tried removing vibrant oil restrictors and putting a turbosmart oil pressure regulator inplace of Y fitting and then no oil feeds to turbos. FML...

Oil pressure cold is about 60 psi, operating temp is about 45psi.

It sounds like you plumbed the Turbosmart OPR wrong. It cannot be used as a Y as there is a Inlet and Outlet, and the bottom is a return line. You can Y after the outlet all you want. Try it again and it should fix your problem. ;)

·
The Liquor Makes Me Think
2,955 Posts
My money is on the 90* fitting in the return. Thatll cause a major back up. Find a way to put in a radius bend.
Also, why do you have a restrictor in the oil feed?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Turbo inlet pressure side. Just any oneway low psi cracking type valve would help fight drain back issues but not saying thats a cause, just that it can fill up the cavity after shut down and seep into the exhaust side to burn off later
I guess I am dumb... not following how that would help drain back issues
It sounds like you plumbed the Turbosmart OPR wrong. It cannot be used as a Y as there is a Inlet and Outlet, and the bottom is a return line. You can Y after the outlet all you want. Try it again and it should fix your problem. ;)
Got it

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
May i ask why you think that? Precision states to only use a -4 feed line without restrictors on their journal turbos.
Well... maybe you are correct... not evacuating enough oil vs feeding to much.... I have been addressing both as best as I know how too...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts