Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am making some minor changes to my car a want to take the opportunity to possibly upgrade the ground to the engine/engine accessories. I already have a Moroso thru panel positive and negative post at the base of the passenger side firewall (both tied directly to the battery). I use them mainly for the inside wiring both postive and grounds with the exception of the starter positive lead to the outside bulkhead. After reading some of the topics here I am thinking I need to create a better ground to the engine and under the hood. I will be making a ground strap from the neg thru connector directly to the engine. My main question is how big of a wire do I need to use just for the accessories (fan, water pump, hobbs switch at the moment)? Will a 10 or 8 gauge wire be enough? It will be seperate from the engine ground but they will all terminate at the thru post. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. BTW I have never had a grounding problem with the current set up (knock on wood).

·
Registered
26,607 Posts
8ga would probably work, 6 would be better, but for the sake of cost I would use a 4ga. You can get a 4ga fine wire or flat braided cable cheaply enough. The bigger wire is less effected by heat and vibration (i.e. handles abuse better)

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ground...

Thanks for the reply Ray. I ended up using the 4 gauge fine stranded cable. it was nice and flexible. I was able to run it through the inner fender (grommets on both ends) and put a marine type post close to the motor plate for the ground strap and additional accessory grounds. Simple yet effective. I don't think I will need to worry about it now. Just wanted to let you know your advice is appreciated.

Matt

·
Registered
26,607 Posts
As are your kind comments, thank you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts