Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My names Dan and I have an 81 camaro with a 469 BBC, th400, ten bolt rear 4:10 gears and a spool, subframe connectors, no cage yet I just ordered one, subframe connectors, 15x8 weld pro stars wrapped in Mt et drag 30x9x15s in the back, up front 4 inch steelies with Mt 28x4.sportsmans.

Engine set up: 469 cu in , 2 bolt mains with arp bolts, working on picking out a new 4 inch crank, molnar 6,135 h beam rods, je forged 13.5-1 pistons with 43cc dome, still need to decide on rings, don't have heads picked out yet, have a weiand stealth oval intake but don't think its going to be compatable with the cam required to take full advantage of the compression, have not chosen a cam and lifters yet(I would really appreciate a few opinions on that! , ignition consists of gm Msd 6al Nascar ignition box , msd coil, and mallory uni lite distributor.

Looking for suggestions on low budget cylinder heads, aluminum is preferred. Something that is capable of being taken down to a 113-116cc combustion chamber to keep the compression up with my pistons(je with 43cc dome). Only have about 1200$ to spend.

I've been trying to find a forged crank here locally(Milwaukee, Wisconsin) but I am not having much luck. To meet my goals I realize this thing is gonna have to spin up to 7k rpm. With that said, what's the highest reccomended power/rpm limit with say a cast scat 9000 crank? 7-800$ for a new forged crank is just not in the budget. Anyone here in se wi with a crank for sale?.

I'm shooting for low 10s to high 9s with what I have so far. I'm dead set on the 4" crank with the rods and pistons i have due to budget reasons. the wife isn't happy with how much I've spent already!

Thanks

·
Registered
69 Posts
Flo tek or Promaxx heads are about the cheapest decent Aluminum heads for sale .... but if your talking solid roller springs your going to be in around $1450 for new heads!

I would keep my eyes open for a used set of ready to run name brand heads!

Most heads will have a 119 - 121 cc chamber so if your looking for 13+:1 compression your going to spend another $100 or so having them milled .....

Lots of small BBC in the past tho! keep your eyes open and have money on hand and but some feelers out and you may find a nice set of used heads!

I'd stay 320 cc or smaller tho .... unless you plan of spinning it really high then maybe a set of 340 cc heads

Don't over look a set of stock 990's or even the bigger oval ports tho .... both fit your price range well and can make great power!

There out there! I have a set of Iron Rectangle ports I'm going to sell ... and know where there is another set that maybe for sale ...

·
Registered
318 Posts
Believe it or not, you can get an Ohio Crankshaft 4340 crank for $695, when I bought one for my Uncles turbo build, it had center counter weights. As for heads, don't be afraid of the Ebay heads... I've used many sets for both small block and big block builds. I had a set of the ProComp 220's on my turbocharged 414 sbc, they had thicker decks and performed better than the Dart Pro 1 230's I had, been 8.50's @ 161 with them. The only time I got "burned" on a set of heads was when I bought a set of the Made in the USA Patriot Freedom heads, now those things were pure junk! I think they now go by ProMaxx... You can get a set of the Assault Racing 335cc port deals assembled for $925 but most here on the Bullet will recommend buying bare and get all your own "good" stuff to have them built with. They have 122cc chambers. If you think they're too big, they have the 320's for $899 assembled with 115cc chambers and Flo-Tec 290's with a 112cc chamber, if you want to stay oval port, they also have those with 290cc runners.

My Uncles 86 Monte Carlo SS was built to be more of a "show" car, he wanted it to sound radical and look impressive under the hood, wasn't worried too much on maximum performance so the combo was more of a throw together than a well thought out combo: Weight approx. 3600 w/driver - standard bore stock crank/rods with Speed Pro HP693CP 22cc dome pistons 10.2:1 compression - a giant (too big) Weiand Team G intake that was ported for 355cc heads - a Bigs 1050 custom dominator carb - 122332-8 Howards solid flat tappet cam 268/278 @ 050 .623/.650 w/108 lsa (tighter lobe sep for radical idle) - 2" primary headers through 2.5" full exhaust - 8" converter from behind his sbc (super loose) - the completely STOCK 7.5" rear with 3.73 gears... He had the car painted after it was all put together, the body guy had it over a year, my Uncle picked it up from there and took it home which he lives over an hour from us. The following Saturday, he took (sneaked) the car to the track before he brought it back down as he, my dad and I all had a large garage we rented where we kept all our racecars and street/show cars. I had no clue what the timing was set at, the valves hadn't been gone over since it was put together, had he told me he was going to take it to make some passed, I would have told him absolutely not! I emphasized on the rear being stock as this has a bit to do with how he ran it. He left the line from a dead idle, kinda rolled into the throttle, shifted @ 6000, with 60 ft times in the mid 1.90's the car ran an 11.09 @ 124! With the top end set up, that combo didn't come alive until near 5000 rpm and pulled like a freight train through 6500. I would've loved to have seen it with a good rear with 4.11 gears leaving @ 4000 or so off the trans brake shifted @ 6500 with open headers...

With what you're looking to do, don't be afraid of the Ebay heads, they're much better than what a lot may say they are.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts