Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
DEEZ NUTZ
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone here a dealer?

Has anyone used there Twin cam gear drives?

Im looking to do a set of cams and a gear drive set up on a twin cam 88.. I had a cam bearing failure that took out the whole engine,I found a replacement engine and trans at a steal..I installed it and got it running but was nervous because of the recent engine failure so i took the cam cover off and sure enough one of the cam chain tensioner paws in the new engine has a crack in [email protected] miles so i feel lucky i caught it as this is a common problem on these .
I have decided to just get rid of the tensioner set up and put Upgraded cams,gears and bearings in

·
Registered
31 Posts
Any gear drive used ,s&s or Andrews will be dictated by the runout of the pinion shaft.
Put a indicator on the pinion and check your run out. Any more than .003 and you will have gear breakage issues after a few thousand miles. I don't like more than .002 because i haven't seen one get better in time.I have seen as much as .005 at 10k .i have purchased Andrews gear drive components( not the cams) and they were reboxed s&s stuff. As a good upgrade HD offers a hybrid hydrolic tentioner kit for 99- 06 .
It has a billet cam plate,hv oil pump and tentioners needed to upgrade it to hydrolic. The chains are far more forgiving to pinion run out.
Any cam is available for chain drive so even cams are cheeper.
Everything you need is about $800 from hd. Deals have been found on line if you shop.
Replace all inner and outer cam bearings and years of service will be had.
Good luck,
Gary

·
DEEZ NUTZ
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did check my run out with and with out the cam plate istalled and looked at the hydraulic set up before deciding to go gear drive I have 2.57on the inner and 2.78 on the outter,I will deff be replacing the cam bearings as that is what took out the last engine. thanks for the reply

·
Registered
125 Posts
Any gear drive used ,s&s or Andrews will be dictated by the runout of the pinion shaft.
Put a indicator on the pinion and check your run out. Any more than .003 and you will have gear breakage issues after a few thousand miles. I don't like more than .002 because i haven't seen one get better in time.I have seen as much as .005 at 10k .i have purchased Andrews gear drive components( not the cams) and they were reboxed s&s stuff. As a good upgrade HD offers a hybrid hydrolic tentioner kit for 99- 06 .
It has a billet cam plate,hv oil pump and tentioners needed to upgrade it to hydrolic. The chains are far more forgiving to pinion run out.
Any cam is available for chain drive so even cams are cheeper.
Everything you need is about $800 from hd. Deals have been found on line if you shop.
Replace all inner and outer cam bearings and years of service will be had.
Good luck,
Gary
Good advice here..............

1 - 4 of 4 Posts