Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All:

Did some searching but didn’t find anything relevant. Which will flow better, the 45-degree fitting or adapter?

I’m plumbing a smallish (120gph) pusher fuel pump just after the tank, and I don’t have room for a straight shot into the pump, but a 45-degree AN fitting will work.

-8 and 3/8 hose to 3/8 metal lines...

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I do not have the facts or anything to back it up but for as long as I can remember the style on the left was always deemed superior. This may have been because a name brand fitting like that back in the day was near $20 each. The style on the right had been around for ages used in all sorts of industrial plumbing and could be had for 1/2 or less than the other piece.
Notice I said STYLE not that specific piece.

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Zero difference. Steve Johnson from Induction Solutions did a test. He's got a video out of it. Flow test with cheap 90's and other fittings. NO change...

·
Registered
174 Posts
Zero difference. Steve Johnson from Induction Solutions did a test. He's got a video out of it. Flow test with cheap 90's and other fittings. NO change...
I agree. I saw the same test. I always thought radiused fittings flowed better. Also the fittings Steve used, I believe, were 90 degree comparison. Both flowed the same.

TS1955

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
I'd pay closer attention to the hose ends themselves. I have a pre-made -8 hose, and the ends have a smaller ID than a typical -6 hose end. I also had some -6 hose ends that had an ID closer to a -4.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Depends on the liquid and amount of flow.

·
Registered
16,292 Posts
This! Good video. Clear as day. No change

·
Registered
315 Posts
I think this is the video:

Fun test.

Reactions: bbmach

·
Registered
249 Posts
That video has restricted flow. Would like to see it compared to full flow.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Yes. The hose is so oversized I the restriction is the small hole obviously...

the question is which flows better. The tub style A/N fitting design was brought to racing from the aircraft industry. They have been tested to death and the radius tube style exists for a very good reason. Also, fluid dynamics speaks to radius vs angle fittings.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts

500 pph is about 1.6gpm which is not a lot of flow. The vid does show that at these “low” flows, being OCD on fittings is not going to reap measurable benefits.

Turn the pressure up to 1 or 2000 psi and up the flow to 40 or 50 gpm and pressure drops for mitered 90* fittings is measurable and needs to be accounted for. Not many drag cars have hydraulic systems like this so it’s just the usual example where it could matter for the OP.

·
Registered
330 Posts
So it seems that everyone refuting the video is talking top fuel level fuel systems, where the video is showing a realistic street strip style carbureted/fuel injected system

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
@carlb - thanks for the vid, I spent some time searching his site and YouTube but came up empty. And thanks everyone for the continuing discussion. I've always created lines under the idea that straighter is better and have been able to keep to it for the most part. This was a situation where I second guessed myself since it is the non-pressure side of the pump. I appreciate the knowledge and expertise here!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Depends on the liquid and amount of flow.
What he said.

Years ago I was plumbing a fuel system using Mallory 140 pumps with -8 lines and an assortment of fittings. I had a large glass jar and a stopwatch to test the fitting flow. For the most part there was very little difference running to the 1/2 gallon or 1 gallon fill line with fitting like that. I can sure tell you though, back then some of the producers sure choked down their fittings more than others. You might as well been using -6 lines with a couple of them.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I had a large glass jar and a stopwatch to test the fitting flow.
I'm not saying it didn't happen but the stopwatch is not going to be accurate.

Edit: Let me rephrase you will not be consistent or accurate with said stopwatch.

·
Registered
16,437 Posts
I'm not saying it didn't happen but the stopwatch is not going to be accurate.

Edit: Let me rephrase you will not be consistent or accurate with said stopwatch.
I don't know exactly what you are trying to say but I've done fuel flow tests as described many times and it was repeatable. The test as described will be MORE than adequate to show any problems. Tests like this aren't exact but you only need enough accuracy to show a potential problem.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts