Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whats up guys im hoping that someone can help me out with the install of my new ams500 boost controller...i need to know how to hook the controller up without worrying about the stages. this is going on a basic 10 second street car with no c02 just hooking it up to manifold pressure. what i have is a wastegate spring that is 20psi and i plan on running a total of 32psi. i do not have any transbrake or anyhing like that to trigger stages so im just looking for a basic hookup to run what i want to run. can anyone give me the rundown on how to do this and is it input one or 2 that i set? if i have 20spi on the gate and want to run 32 does the controller get set to 32 or 12? what mode do i need to be in? do i need to hook one of hte inputs to a constant 12v or ground to have the controller turn on?? any help would be great and thanks guys im lost on how to set the thing up how i want it.....

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok so basically i will start off on a lower number lake 25 and just make some pulls until it holds the boost im looking for..now i just need to know how to wire this all up to just run on one stage without and triggers.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
34ford its on a grand national never had a problem holding 32psi before with just a greddy profec b electronic one, decided to upgrade to this controller as the old one seemed to be a little flaky lately.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
you can activate each stage by a switch if you like or pressure switch or tps switch etc.

Start applying target pressure until your reach the target you want. If you cannot get to your goal pressure then chances are its backpressure blowing the gate open . You will atthat point need ot use co2 to keep it shut.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
control freak for the time being can i just ground input one and set the boost per setting one dials and leave the setting 2 and ramp dials at 0 and unhooked for now? once i do this i know there is modes and stuff will i just be ready to go once its hooked up? thanks

·
Registered
306 Posts
ok so basically i will start off on a lower number lake 25 and just make some pulls until it holds the boost im looking for..now i just need to know how to wire this all up to just run on one stage without and triggers.
remeber that the AMS reads and adjust the amount of pressure that is going to the top of the wastegate. So if you have a 20psi spring and want 32psi manifold pressure your target psi should be some where around 12psi pending on some other things. I would start lower than 12 and work up.

·
Registered
690 Posts
control freak for the time being can i just ground input one and set the boost per setting one dials and leave the setting 2 and ramp dials at 0 and unhooked for now? once i do this i know there is modes and stuff will i just be ready to go once its hooked up? thanks

if you ground input 1 and set it for your target....it will do exactly what your trying to get it to do. with out activating input 2 it doesnt matter what the values are as they will not be used.

i would still suggest atleast putting your input 1 on a toggle switch.

we have done a few of them like this. one honda having 12psi springs and running 38psi with no c02. really big exhaust housing lol

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok i am gonna ground out the input one through the aux output option on my XFI to ground at a certain tps signal...here is my last question..in the instructions if talks about setting the ams for normal mode and safe mode then talks later on down the instructions about configuring stageone/input one mode....which mode do i set im kinda lost on that last part but im getting the rest of it now....thanks guys for all the help

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
also i see that certain lights should be blinking or lit up for certain modes not sure which one to pick. also once i get it set and i take a blast down a safe backroad can i just pull over real quick apply more pressur with the knobs and make another blast or do i have to shut the car off and reset the ams everytime i want to change the boost?? thanks guys

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
leave it in normal mode.

really doesnt matter which input mode your in because your only using one of them

the blinking light pattern will tell you which mode you are in.

You will need to pull over , set your switches to make your target pressure change, power down the ams500 and then power it up for it to store the change...then go race. So that being said I would put the power on a toggle switch so its easy

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
sounds good to me i think i have got it all now...hopefully sometime in the next week or so i will have it figured out and the car back together..no big deal on the toggle ill pull over, make the changes and shut the car off after it for a quick second while the ams powers down

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
one last question....being as this is on a street car that will see rain and water and what not in the engine compartment along with cleaning the engine, can this box be mounted under the hood or would it be safer to put it inside the car??

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.