Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my car wired up and was thinking about how to trigger the AMS-1000. I know my 7531 triggers once I let go of the transbrake, but after reading the AMS doc I'm not quite sure how to trigger it.

The way I read it is that once I hit +12v to the activation wire it starts the timer. However, I don't want the timers to start until I let go of the transbrake (+12v, then nothing). But doing it this way, I can't use the AMS to control launch boost.

So my questions are:

• Should I use my AMS to control launch boost or my 7531 and control it with RPM? If I use the AMS, how do I set it up to control launch boost?
  • How do i set the AMS up to where the timers don't start until I let go of the transbrake? I don't want the timers to start once I get on the transbrake, as I have no idea how long I'll be on the brake each round.

Thanks!...and yes I have co2 on it...

·
Registered
455 Posts
You need to wire your transbrake switch to activate the "clutch" input on your AMS controller. The timer starts after you remove the "clutch" input(i.e. after you let off the transbrake).

The AMS controller also has a launch boost setting that you can adjust the launch pressure. Use that for your launch pressure and use your MSD box for your launch rpm. Use them both together.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
please read the instructions further LOL!!!. When you put 12 volts to terminal 1 it puts the controller in run mode and will start control. When you hit your transbrake (connected to terminal 9) it will put the controller in launch mode and reset all the timers back to the beginning. When you release the transbrake it will begin control from the beginning. The clutch reset function needs to be ON ( this is in the options menu). All units version 2.2 (across the top of the screen) come defaulted with the clutch reset on.

regards,
seb
NLR

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the clarification Seb... I was getting confused over the clutch input/activation.

Since I have your attention, does +12v need to be on pin 1 the whole time I want to datalog/make a run? i.e. if I wire pin 1 and pin 9 to the transbrake, will the AMS log the entire run or will it think the run is over once I let go of the transbrake, hence removing +12v from pin 1?

·
Registered
690 Posts
ive been wiring the controllers ive been installing lately in street cars to have the accessory "key position 1" power up terminal 8 and ignition on "key position 2" power up terminal number 1.

that way its easy to make adjustments (cant do it when the engine is running but i never do that anyways), no toggle switches (had to help paul effantis battle a bad toggle switch at an event--which they went the fastest they had ever been after that, i guess the switch had been turning the controller on and off going down the track), and the best part is that its impossible to forget to turn the controller on wired like that! (i made that mistake at indy last year) :axe:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts