Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yep, that's what one of our vendors told us yesterday. They use Amish to sew together silt traps for us. They said some construction company came in and offered them all double pay to come swing hammers. Needless to say most of them left. I was pissed until I found out our vendor was paying them $7.00 an hour so of course they left. The shit is everywhere now. lol

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
That's below federal minimum wage, surprised they could get anyone to show up for that. Fast food pays $15/hr nowadays, what job pays less than half of McDonald's?

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
That's below federal minimum wage, surprised they could get anyone to show up for that. Fast food pays $15/hr nowadays, what job pays less than half of McDonald's?
The federal minimum wage is $15 if your job position qualifies for it otherwise it goes by state minimum wage requirements. Yeah I'm surprised they worked for $7 at todays market

·
Registered
15,092 Posts
I know a lot of people dislike the Amish, the real ones not the dark skinned ones, but I have a family that has done work for me and their quality and work ethic is second to none. Also their pricing is extremely reasonable. I guess if you break it down it is a little high in one way but with what they get done IMO it is not.
5k for 3 days on site might seem high but any other crew would be 5k and they would be there 5+ days. So is it really out of line ?

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
The federal minimum wage is $15 if your job position qualifies for it otherwise it goes by state minimum wage requirements. Yeah I'm surprised they worked for $7 at todays market
I am definitely not a minimum wage expert, but everything that comes up from a search shows fed $7.25 with no second category for $15/hr.

Some states like CA have high minimum wages. I am in ND nowadays and we don't have a minimum wage other than fed, but even McDonald's pays over $15 to start now. You will see some jobs offered down in the 12-14 range for completely unskilled and undemanding work

·
Registered
40,374 Posts
Do Amish pay taxes?
Yes they do. This is a myth.

Reactions: Novaguy33

·
Registered
16,550 Posts
Whenever I hear someone talking in favor of the minimum wage it tells me a lot about their understanding of economics...
You do realize that if you pay someone less than a living wage the vast majority of them supplement their income with some kind of welfare program. If the cost of living is 12 dollars and hour in a certain area and the minimum wage is 8 then public assistance generally makes up the other 4 dollars....of course for the grubament to distribute the 4 dollars probably costs at least that much in overhead.

Me I would rather pay the extra 4 dollars an hour to the light skinned Omish guy swinging a hammer than pay the dark skinned 300 lb variety of Omish women 20 an hour to sit at a desk and hit print.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
The Amish treat me well. I just had them cut all the trim to do windows and doors on my back porch.
Its made of Hickory. The cut it all to size. Planed ,jointed and sanded it. Had it in 2 days
$160. I couldn't buy pine at home depot and have to do all the work myself for under $300.
They built my cabinets for kitchen and all bathroom vanities and mirror frames.
Home Depot Kraftman cabinets were over $20k
And basic design. No taller or deeper cabinets to make it look dimensional.
The Amish built completely custom cabinets. All spacer at end were built in to cabinets and dimensional. $8000 made of Cherry.
Wood Interior design Floor Flooring Hardwood

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
You do realize that if you pay someone less than a living wage the vast majority of them supplement their income with some kind of welfare program. If the cost of living is 12 dollars and hour in a certain area and the minimum wage is 8 then public assistance generally makes up the other 4 dollars....of course for the grubament to distribute the 4 dollars probably costs at least that much in overhead.

Me I would rather pay the extra 4 dollars an hour to the light skinned Omish guy swinging a hammer than pay the dark skinned 300 lb variety of Omish women 20 an hour to sit at a desk and hit print.
Well, that didn't take long did it? 😂 😂 😂

Doesn't matter if it is a .25 cent raise in the minimum wage or raising the minimum wage to $100/hr or any other number you choose to pull out of your ass it has the same effect. It very quickly makes its way through the entire economy multiplying every price by whatever the increase was. Minimum wage increases are nothing more than a way to inject inflation into a money system. (Oh and get votes from the ignorant amongst us) Let's say the minimum wage was $10/hr and you are making $12/hr. Then the minimum wage is increased to $12/hr and the guys you were working with all get a raise from $10/hr to $12/hr. Are you going to tell me you would be satisfied doing the same job but now getting paid same as the guys that are getting minimum wage? If you say yes, then I will call you a liar. Now multiply that through the entire workforce. When you get $14 because the minimum wage guys went from $10 to $12 what do you think the guy who was getting $14 is going to say?

Living wage!!!! 😂😂😂 You crack me up! YOU ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO BE SATISFIED WITH AND CONTINUE TO WORK AT A SHIT JOB THAT PAYS MINIMUM WAGE!!! IT IS NOT INTENDED TO PAY ENOUGH TO LIVE ON! IT IS ENTRY LEVEL!

Fucker probably even gets to vote...

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
We dont have Amish, but something similar in Mennonites, large community of them not far from here. They have a reputation for being skilled and very hard workers. I have some working my vineyard now, so far I am pleased with what they've done and their price.

Word to the wise, a common local expression goes as follows: Hire a Mennonite today and you'll be working for him tomorrow...

1 - 20 of 40 Posts