Yellow Bullet Forums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
Like to stay american made, but ya looking at rods for 1200hp range
For that application, it's hard to beat a Molnar power adder rod for the price point. Carrillo if money is no concern.

Reactions: treyrags

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
If you buy from a trusted, well known manufacturer, you can be confident that your parts are of top quality. Some rod manufacturers have their blanks forged offshore, but the blanks are forged from a specific reciepe of steel and produced on equipment that meets the rod manufacturers specifications and performance. Most of these offshore blanks are finish machined at the rod manufacturer's facilities in the US.

As a parallel example, steel used in the manufacture of high performance piston rings is typically sourced from Brazil. A very small percentage of material, especially steel, comes from Sweden and the US but the majority is Brazilian steel. Ring manufacturers in Europe, Japan and China also source much of their ring material from Brazil . . . . . . . .
Not sure if I would trust Chinese quality control on that "specific recipe"... JMO

·
Registered
4,636 Posts
Depends on which China man you are talking to. Tom Molnar knows which one to talk to. Sets his standards. Makes it easier to do it right than wrong. And pays a fair price for what he wants. His design of an H beam is better then the earlier brands. His Power Adder ones are even stronger, but heavier. Material does make it the best it can be. After that new equipment to machine it. Every rod gets bolts replaced when they come in with his asymmetrical ARP spec'ed bolts, then rehoned round again.

Are they as good as an Oliver or Carrillo? No. They do the job in most cases.

I have used and sold BBC and SBC Molnar rods and cranks in last 5 years with no issues, but not for power adder engines.

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I'm sorry to read that. I don't think we can be friends anymore.

;)
Trust me im not liking it. As a ford man i Diffenly love my Ford power , but as a drag racer i can not overlook the LS, stock block ford no way no how can they hold up to what i want ,ya a sbf will hold for a bit and ill make some hero passes then it will bust the block and that is a fact its not my opinion, hell now im not seeing the issue and the big issue people have with going LS, chevy guys use ford 9 inch, ford guys use the glide and thats all ok, a person sees a car run fast and its awesome untill they find a power plant that they dont appove..lol, i want to go as fast as i can for the least amount of $$$, i don't care if its a dam honda , LS or whatever

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Not to worry. The other Ford guy say the LS is just a ford copy.

Hope you get that together and it works out for you.
Tore my 1st 6.0 LS apart last week, not going to say its a copy but diffenly very similar layout, looks like GM took some notes on few different brands and came up with the LS, either way ill give credit where its due, as a drag racer i can not over look , i would gone coyote but holy shit $$$ same as the 4.6 and 5.4 motors, on top of if i have a issue at a race someone there will have what i need..so if somebody dont like that i put a LS in my car , pay for the ford motor and ill put what ever you want in it

·
NITROUS OUTLET FTW
6,367 Posts
Tore my 1st 6.0 LS apart last week, not going to say its a copy but diffenly very similar layout, looks like GM took some notes on few different brands and came up with the LS, either way ill give credit where its due, as a drag racer i can not over look , i would gone coyote but holy shit $$$ same as the 4.6 and 5.4 motors, on top of if i have a issue at a race someone there will have what i need..so if somebody dont like that i put a LS in my car , pay for the ford motor and ill put what ever you want in it
I went LS in my 'bird. I had hp goals but not enough money to do a true Pontiac engine. I really understand.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Not sure if I would trust Chinese quality control on that "specific recipe"... JMO
Typically in a case such as this, the offshore manufacturer will submit samples of the part to the rod manufacturer AND a third party test facility chosen by the rod manufacturer. The rod manufacturer will also pull some samples from received inventory to examine in-house and/or by the third-party testing facility. Actually, this process is also followed even if the parts are produced in the USA too . . . . . . .

Most manufacturers are very careful about the quality of parts that are furnished by outside suppliers, regardless of the country of origin.

·
Registered
859 Posts
On my gen. 1 SBC update, I'm changing to Callies Ultra-I beams with MP 3.5 bolts. Expecting ~9000 RPM shifts.

Jason G.

·
Banksters Paradise
7,721 Posts
My lentz rods (sbc 6.125 long / 2.1 crank pin, 7/16 bolts), they weigh 749 grams each with bolts (no bearings on them). Them some beefy mofos for sure. I think 8.5k rpm all day no sweat

·
Registered
755 Posts
What about Auto Verdi? From Sweden, said to be very good...Duttweiler's using them in his worlds fastest piston driven streamliner .

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
RCM, I've just done a google and went as far as page 6 of searching "problem with Oliver rods" - I didn't find anything which made me sweat.....have you had a problem with them? If so, what was it?

21 - 39 of 39 Posts