Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Senior Moment
9,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Union hall is failing miserably at keeping track of the master 'out of work list'.

I suggested we modernize it by having a program, whereas the members call in and a computer handles it.

When available work comes up, the purter spits out a member in the order of seniority/ability to do the job.

Trying to stop the "good ole boy" approach to handing out the work.

Any help would be appreciated, this would be a paying gig for someone here...if such a system is available.

Thanks in advance,,,TLW

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
Why not all the teamsters main office and ask them
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Senior Moment
9,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why not all the teamsters main office and ask them
Posted via Mobile Device
Each hall is it's own entity when it comes to these matters,,,TLW

·
Senior Moment
9,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BUMP

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
That could easily be done with a computer program.

Expect to pay minimum $500 for something like that.

If you want to double check your quote and make sure you arent getting ripped off, feel free to PM me the quote.

500? you won't even get a programmer out of bed for that.

we just had a program created for all of our maintenance request. it allows people to create a repair order, categorizes it,allows people to see the status of the request after its filed and then sends notification via email after the repairs have been completed.

10k.

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
My Union hall is failing miserably at keeping track of the master 'out of work list'.

I suggested we modernize it by having a program, whereas the members call in and a computer handles it.

When available work comes up, the purter spits out a member in the order of seniority/ability to do the job.

Any help would be appreciated, this would be a paying gig for someone here...if such a system is available.

Thanks in advance,,,TLW
How those union dues working out

·
Senior Moment
9,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How those union dues working out
Not bad.

$3,200 a month retirement- $500,000 in my annuity, for sitting in a truck reading the paper 80% of the time.

I can live with it
,,,TLW

·
Senior Moment
9,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bump!

·
Registered
605 Posts
500? you won't even get a programmer out of bed for that.

we just had a program created for all of our maintenance request. it allows people to create a repair order, categorizes it,allows people to see the status of the request after its filed and then sends notification via email after the repairs have been completed.

10k.
ummmm.

I am a programmer. I've been programming professionally for over 20 years. I hold a college degree in computer programming. And I've worked for fortune 500 down to mom and pop shops programming. I also own my own company that does computer programming. Given the scope of the project I'm seeing above, I could easily program, the very very basics of what he wants, in 6 or so hours, which is roughly $85/hour. I don't mind making $85/hour. So, I set expectations for him that he will be spending at least $500. On the high end, I wouldn't set a limit. You can scope creep and add options into the millions.

My father was 40 years in the UAW and I appreciate what unions do. So I don't mind helping the guy out to make sure the quotes he gets are correct in price and not over charged. I guess I could even give him a quote if he asked.

But let's be clear, it can be done, on a basic level, for $500.

·
Registered
21,141 Posts
:Kneel

Thanks in advance,,,TLW
you guys don't have a book system ? what union ?

·
Registered
139 Posts
ummmm.

I am a programmer. I've been programming professionally for over 20 years. I hold a college degree in computer programming. And I've worked for fortune 500 down to mom and pop shops programming. I also own my own company that does computer programming. Given the scope of the project I'm seeing above, I could easily program, the very very basics of what he wants, in 6 or so hours, which is roughly $85/hour. I don't mind making $85/hour. So, I set expectations for him that he will be spending at least $500. On the high end, I wouldn't set a limit. You can scope creep and add options into the millions.

My father was 40 years in the UAW and I appreciate what unions do. So I don't mind helping the guy out to make sure the quotes he gets are correct in price and not over charged. I guess I could even give him a quote if he asked.

But let's be clear, it can be done, on a basic level, for $500.
that shit is laughable, 6hrs and $500 for an autonomous app that will take calls and assign jobs based on several levels of complexity? spout off all the qualifications u want but u aint doing that job for 500 without taking an ass reaming!
h

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
I have done quite a bit of database programming myself. What you need could be made in a day pretty easily. I think it was mentioned though it could get out of hand pretty quick. If you do decide to go the custom software route, for every hour you spend making sure you have your requirements defined you are going to save atleast three hours of programming time.

Spend a day listing out every variable you want to store and how you want to sort/search the data. You can't make your design spec to detailed. Its going to save your ass in the long run. The developer will be able to help you get started writing up the design spec. You get it down to the knats ass and a good database guy will rip it out in a day.

One good source might be your local college. Call the CIS department. They probably have a kid that could handle it. I have done that a few times when I am in a bind on time with other projects.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
that shit is laughable, 6hrs and $500 for an autonomous app that will take calls and assign jobs based on several levels of complexity? spout off all the qualifications u want but u aint doing that job for 500 without taking an ass reaming!
h
Let him do it for $500 then. I've been writing C++/JAVA for 8+ years now and I wouldn't take on that job for $500. I can foresee it turning into a nightmare with the "qualification" based hierarchy. But hey, to each their own.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts