Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking like hell to find a decent price on a aluminum wing setup for a Ls1 bodied Firebird. Does anyone know a company that sells them? Only thing i've found so far is a carbon one but I'm doubting i need all that. A simple aluminum wing would work just fine for me. If not, I guess we are going to have to make one ourself, haha. :drinkers:

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
RaceCraft!

·
Registered
8,135 Posts
He said Firebird.

Been looking also, all the ones I have seen dont look good.
Would like something that goes on top of the stock firebird wing.

·
Registered
624 Posts
As far as i know racecraft only does camaros.I know madman was making aluminum wings but no longers ships them due to being damaged during transportation.Brian black had his chassis guy do a carbon maybe he could bulid one and ship it.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Brian Black's isnt carbon, it's hydrodipped and damn it looks good. I called his chassis guy and i got the same answer Madman has: Only can do it in house. I think the company Brian Black used was Larson race cars?

I can respect that, especially with the problems Madman had with shipping his wings and getting damaged. There's a guy on LS1tech that supposedly has the stuff from Joe Van O to make the original carbon ones. I'm just not looking for something that nice(this go-around anyways).

I'm kind of wondering if Jerry Bickel has made one before for our cars... I just need the wing, don't even need it assembled. We can handle assembly, and even sourcing the struts and all on our own.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
He said Firebird.

Been looking also, all the ones I have seen dont look good.
Would like something that goes on top of the stock firebird wing.

Wonder if Ed Quay has made something for that? I'd prefer to have it flat off the back of a trans am with the stock wing removed. Similiar to Koehler, Blacks, or Meek's rides.

·
Registered
8,135 Posts
With no stock wing it looks like a ford probe... or something is missing.

Guess we will have to come up something ourself as usual. LOL !
Maybe buy that racecraft Camaro one and "modify" it. :smt102 :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Was Thinking something simple like this ......

The problem we see playing it out at the shop the past couple nights is you need a metal stretcher to effectively "bend" the curve around the back of the car since we have such a goofy-ass back end. That's something we don't have and would have to find.

I like that one alot....saving to desktop.

·
Registered
8,135 Posts
Was thinking of just setting it on top of my Formula/firebird stock wing.

Think I'll get some cardboard and play around with it this week.

Dont have any issues in the 1/8th but last year it was doing some weird stuff at the top end of the track (on data logger it looked alot like it was spining the tires on topend) Might have been the cold track but we are gonna go faster this year, thinking it might help?

·
Registered
724 Posts
should create a sizable amount of downforce at higher speeds. exactly why I put one on mine.

remember to keep air from getting under it (with side spill plates) and a small wicker to create the downforce. Mine has a 3/4" wicker IIRC

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
should create a sizable amount of downforce at higher speeds. exactly why I put one on mine.

remember to keep air from getting under it (with side spill plates) and a small wicker to create the downforce. Mine has a 3/4" wicker IIRC

3/4 sounds like a lot?

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've decided i'm pulling mine off tonight and sticking it in permanent storage. It'll force my fab guy to do something, because it makes him dry-heave when he sees it w/o a wing.

If I get a local chassis guy to make me one, want me to see if he'll just make two or three for everyone on here? Seems like there's a need?

·
Registered
863 Posts
I orginally wanted to get a Joe Van O wing to match my hood, but he was 3-5 months out. We tried calling in some favors through Mike Moran and it was still 3 months+.

Larson Race cars built mine to improve upon the Joe van O wing, and look like it belongs on the car. It is an aluminum wing, that has been hydro dipped. Not a cheap wing BTW, but worth it for the quality and fitment that Larson is known for.

IMO, the stock wing has gotta go regardless.

·
Registered
180 Posts
yea i need 1 2 i took the stock wing off and smoothed all the holes and stuff in the decklid now it looks like a fiberglass pro stock style hatch somebody got 2 make a wing 4 a t/a!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i hate havn something i cant get parts i want 2 put on it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
56 Posts
We'll fab one from scratch Tim. I'm thinking after Valdosta we can get it knocked out. It'll be pimp and do what it's suppose to..

·
Registered
26 Posts
Tim heres a pic of mine It just got hydrodipped so i dont have any pics of it done yet. But stock one has been removed and all holes trimmed and filled in with glass, anyways heres a pic

1 - 20 of 44 Posts