Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
26,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having a conversation today with a friend who's building a 535ci N/A engine (9000rpm). He has the option to buy either an iron block @280# finished, or an aluminum deal @150#.

In a serious N/A application , will the 130# savings be worth the power loss???

·
T/S 368E
31,135 Posts

Hell yea, and if I wasn't so cheap alum would be the only block I ran!!!
Playing with the calculator for my car, and I would go a hell of a lot faster with alum even with losing a few HP.

·
Registered
604 Posts
What are teh benifits of alumionum over iron other than weight melts faster distorts easier flexinxin etc but I don't have much experie please tell me if I am wrong I don not want to come across as and thinks he knows it all ASSHOLE.

·
T/S 368E
31,135 Posts

The only benefit you need is the 130 lbs.
It takes a hell of a lot of HP to get the same gain.
Yes, the rings don't seal as well, and there is a lot more moving around, but it is repairable.
Again, I'll take the 130 lbs over the little bit of HP loss anyday, but I'm definitely no expert.

·
Registered
26,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

The only benefit you need is the 130 lbs.
It takes a hell of a lot of HP to get the same gain.
Yes, the rings don't seal as well, and there is a lot more moving around, but it is repairable.
Again, I'll take the 130 lbs over the little bit of HP loss anyday, but I'm definitely no expert.

Somewhere around 50hp I guess to even it up, but I'm not sure if that tells the whole story though.

·
Registered
49,467 Posts
Koleno in iron.....KB in aluminum.
Check with LSM and a few other companies, there is wieght to be had out of the kolena block.That bad boy wieghs over 300lbs to IIRC.

·
Registered
72 Posts
What are teh benifits of alumionum over iron other than weight melts faster distorts easier flexinxin etc but I don't have much experie please tell me if I am wrong I don not want to come across as and thinks he knows it all ASSHOLE.
Huh?

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
I wonder if there is a lightening program available???
That's what you need to find out. If you could get the weight difference down to under 100 LBS., like 80 or 90, then I'd be going iron.

·
Registered
604 Posts
"HUNH how the fuck should I take that as if I don't know shit or what? Don't Boot me off Chris even tjouhg I have absouletlely no Idea who you are anywaty I respwect your engines and info plesaese disregard spellchell I do'nt believe it was working:D

·
T/S 368E
31,135 Posts

Obviously if you can get it much closer, iron is better.
Less maintenance, prep, life cycle, stability, etc. but 130 lbs is a lot to give up for what I thought was a low % of HP.

But there is always the repair issue. It sucks putting a lot of time & money into a block and then it's junk in an instant.

·
RED ROCKET
8,633 Posts

Obviously if you can get it much closer, iron is better.
Less maintenance, prep, life cycle, stability, etc. but 130 lbs is a lot to give up for what I thought was a low % of HP.

But there is always the repair issue. It sucks putting a lot of time & money into a block and then it's junk in an instant.

alum blocks can be junk in an instant as well as i did it this year..so now i need another 6000 dollar block instead of 2000....my car works better with the alum block but never ran much faster.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Have built with both Koleno and KB.Koleno is Heavy,have had mostly good results with KB ,we use a blow-by meter on our dyno and had one KB that pinned the gauge,but had others that were better ,but never as good as iron blocks.The biggest problem with NA alum blocks is that as you develope more power,more cylinder pressure,you also get more blow-by,so the development curve can be misleading,you can find more power but it just goes past the rings.Bill C.

·
Registered
26,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Have built with both Koleno and KB.Koleno is Heavy,have had mostly good results with KB ,we use a blow-by meter on our dyno and had one KB that pinned the gauge,but had others that were better ,but never as good as iron blocks.The biggest problem with NA alum blocks is that as you develope more power,more cylinder pressure,you also get more blow-by,so the development curve can be misleading,you can find more power but it just goes past the rings.Bill C.
Used a KB for my blower engine. In N/A stuff aluminum makes me nervous.

I'm pushing him to a lightened iron deal.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts