Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone here have any experience with the aluminum tilt top trailers? I'm getting old and want something easier to load with. Anyone, good, bad, indifferent doesn't matter. I've heard some people say the aluminum was bad about cracking. Any dealers here in Florida that I could buy from and get advise? I'm not dead set on aluminum either, just looking for a tilt that's easy to load. I have a lowered 68 Ford F100 and I occasionally haul bigger trucks. Thanks

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Aluminium is not much lighter than steel.

The diamond plate needs to be 5-6mm instead of 3mm steel [1/8"]

These best is an aluminium hybrid. Steel frame with alloy deck.
But there is a catch.

Aluminium and steel are not very good "Bed partners", they corrode .

If the deck is attached to the frame with a thick layer of Urethane adhesive, the trailer wont corrode and it will be stronger than a welded trailer.

Buy an old wood deck trailer and refurbish it with an alloy deck and fenders.

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
I have this one. It's a 20 footer, 5200 lb axles, powder coated, and wood deck made by PJ trailers. I looked at aluminum but they are twice the cost or at least the ones I could find were. They also make a less expensive version that used a manual jack to tilt the trailer. I hated my last trailer as the ramps sucked.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have this one. It's a 20 footer, 5200 lb axles, powder coated, and wood deck made by PJ trailers. I looked at aluminum but they are twice the cost or at least the ones I could find were. They also make a less expensive version that used a manual jack to tilt the trailer. I hated my last trailer as the ramps sucked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckVC8MybwBQ
This is the one I have too. I love the tilt.

·
Registered
21,576 Posts
I just got done "doin that" to mine. Without much money, I bought a used (non tilt) local trailer used for I think 1100. One day, I jus' started in on it, LOL

Cut the tongue out of 'er

Made some pivots and extended the tongue

Gettin there

Horrid Freight heavy duty ram, about 80 bucks

Loadin' a junker with the winch. No running gear at all. Purely dragging it up there

'N hauled a dead Ferd fer the neighbor. Got the old style warn 8K fer 150 bucks

·
Registered
176 Posts
I have a 20' H&H speedloader with the hydraulic ram and a winch. Loading and unloading cars that don't run is super fast and easy for 1 person.

Mine is the steel version but they make an aluminum too.

It's a good trailer and I like it.

dd

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
take a look at Jim-glo trailers too. Two of my friends own one and they are nice. Jim-glo is in Arizona and they are not aluminum though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts