Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chris I was checking bearing clearence on a sbc I'm freashing up and noticed that the big end of the rods measure up to .006 big across the split of the rod cap . And the clearence across the rod form the beam to the center of the cap is .0015/.002 is there any way to make this work the owner dosn't want to buy new rods till we change the combo this winter

·
Registered
882 Posts
I don,t do any aluminum rod engines but the parting line will be bigger. Do to the weight of the piston stretching the rod, at max piston speed the big end will be round.On a steel rod engine you will see about .0015 to .002 big at the parting line.The bearing it self has built in eccentric/tapper to help combat the bearing pinching the crank.

I would check the rod big end to see if it is in spec.

A (p) bearing will have a diffrent eccentric then a (z) bearing.

·
Super Moderator
35,256 Posts
Pull the bearing out and check the rod bore and make sure it is round. A .0015 to .006 spread is WAY too much.... I'm assuming you have torqued these to specs?

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I pulled out the bearing and measured across the split of the cap and across the beam and found .002 to .004 out (across the cap larger than across the beam ) also the caps were all torqued to specs

thanks for all your help

1 - 4 of 4 Posts