Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is your guys' opinion of running these? my builder brought it up last night while i talked to him on the phone and said it would probably be a good idea. i just wanna know the pros and cons to them. how much lif would i get out of them running on the street once in a while? aren't they easier on parts as well? i really don't know jack about aluminum rods cuase i always thought they were too cool for me to run ha ha.

here is my combe so far.

408sbc
splayed mains/ half filled
13.5:1
was planning on 6" h beam (do i have to run a shorter one??)
aluminum heads
solid roller
dominator
blah blah blah
with 200-250 shot in mind, maybe more.

thanks

·
Administrator
136,626 Posts
Aluminum rods can be your friend and your enemy. Rod life isn't as great as it is with steel rods. You can expect 60-200 runs on a set without failure. It depends on how you are using them. You should, with the combo listed above, see 200 runs from a set. After that I would replace them. Big drawback on an aluminum rod is there is no way to really check them before they give. The up side is they are lighter, will take a lot more nitrous than steel rods and easier on bearings. I would recommend a set of Groden or Bill Miller rods for your motor... As far as street driving? Not really sure...

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey thanks. i think i'm going to stick with a steel rod now. i got 18* heads just barely and i don't want to over power or stress the stock block (ya its a stock 400 with that stuff done) i'm not going to spray i don't think. not worth destroying an engine to go a little faster. besides with a aluminum rod i have to clearance my block a little more and i need it to be as strong as it can get.
if/when i get a bow tie or dart block i'll throw aluminum rods in it.

thanks though

1 - 3 of 3 Posts