Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
8,010 Posts
I will not run aluminum, porsche put aluminum on the caymen S when it first cam out. Plenty of people had to change to steel or titanium for track days as the aluminum did not hold up to the stress, that said on the street they seemed to work fine but I don't think I would run them. I have not herd of any complaints with titanium but you never know.

Reactions: Mista Bone

·
Registered
85 Posts
On a production car, If you have no occasion to remove a wheel every 12 months or so, then aluminium nuts will be a problem.
Over here we salt the roads to prevent heavy icing.
Salty water + aluminium nuts + mild steel bolts = disaster.

Galvanic corrosion is a bitch.

For racing? Fuck that!

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Toolodtom, did you use any antiseize on them?
This is what I am thinking, if I use antiseize it will allow the nuts to work loose, if I don't use antiseize, the nuts will size.
The wheels will often be changed from one side of the car to the other.
I am wondering if it is worth the trouble.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Toolodtom, did you use any antiseize on them?
This is what I am thinking, if I use antiseize it will allow the nuts to work loose, if I don't use antiseize, the nuts will size.
The wheels will often be changed from one side of the car to the other.
I am wondering if it is worth the trouble.
Anti seize was used when first built, but a year later is when I had he issues, always worried about lugs backing of since I street drove the car and lots of side loading the rim. Although they looked nice .

Attachments

·
Registered
5,964 Posts
Unless you`re running Comp eliminator or another class that requires every bit of ET such as removing rotational weight, titanium is the way to go otherwise, steel is fine.

·
Moderater
14,866 Posts
I’m coming out with a line of anti gravity lug nuts if anyone is interested. The only detail I’ll post is they are made from Moscovium, don’t need people stealing my idea..

·
Registered
24 Posts
Inquiring minds want to know:
So what is the ET percentage of gain with titanium lug nuts on all 4 wheels???

So what is the ET percentage of gain with aluminum lug nuts on all 4 wheels.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
I run Mark Williams' titanium stud kit that comes with aluminum lug nuts. Not sure what the alloy or heat treat the aluminum is, but they are 2 points harder than the back of Superman's head. I put a little moly on the threads, never had a problem after many years of use. 6 second, 200 mph+ dragster.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Inquiring minds want to know:
So what is the ET percentage of gain with titanium lug nuts on all 4 wheels???

So what is the ET percentage of gain with aluminum lug nuts on all 4 wheels.
The answer is zero. If you really want your eyes opened, put 4 stock steel wheels on your car, then ABA test them against your shiny lightweight race wheels.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Had 7075 T6 aluminum lug nuts on the race car without an issue. Street car? Not a chance.
Titanium lug nuts are on the new car. So far so good.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts