Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a hairline crack on the bottom surface of my Moroso aluminum oil pan, about 1" long, it weeps out oil. Very annoying.

It will come out over the winter and get welded, the right way.

Any suggestions on a quick fix, while it is still in the car?

Thanks

·
Registered
5,403 Posts
If you can see where the crack starts and ends drill a small like 1/16 dia hole at each end, that should stop it from going any further. I will agree with steel town, drain it, clean it scuff it and use the gray RTV as that gets harder and to me seems to work much better all around. As soon as you can drop it and get it weld repaired.

·
Registered
49,830 Posts
Remove the pan drill both ends of the crack and fill it from the inside with JB weld. You can do that or weld it up. I have never had any luck at all trying to fix a leak from the outside of the pan.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Is it worth trying to fix it and not knowing if it will hold?? how about at the end of the track when it does not hold and starts leaking then?

Just remove the pan and have it welded.....do it once do it right! I do not want you hitting me at the end of the track when I am in the other lane.
BC

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
there might not be a safe easy fix, a crack will keep growing unless drilled as previously posted. try the drilling and jb weld but it will need to be very clean to work no oil residue what so ever

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know removing the pan is the correct way, which will be at the end of the season. The pan I have is a bitch to remove and then to get it to go back on and SEAL correctly. I have the car jacked up in the back to get any residual oil to drain forward, so hopefully the crack area will dry in a few days. I am trying to squirt some brake cleaner in there as well, to help.

The suggestion about the gas tank putty may work since it might be in contact with the oil?? Hmmm.

·
Registered
861 Posts
JB Bonds very well with aluminum, much better than steel. You could also try TIG welding it while it's on the car but I have a feeling the oil would instantly contaminate it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts