Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
20,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This recipe calls for the steak to be cooked directly on the coals and is what I'm making later for myself and a couple of friends.

I'm heading out to get the rest of the ingredients now and will post pics and let y'all know how it comes out. Every recipe I have made from Alton Brown has been good and I expect the same here.

Thanks for looking.

Ingredients

1/2 cup olive oil
1/3 cup soy sauce
4 scallions, washed and cut in 1/2
2 large cloves garlic
1/4 cup lime juice
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
3 tablespoons dark brown sugar or Mexican brown sugar
2 pounds inside skirt steak, cut into 3 equal pieces
Special equipment: blow dryer

Directions

Heat charcoal, preferably natural chunk, until grey ash appears. In a blender, put in oil, soy sauce, scallions, garlic, lime juice, red pepper, cumin, and sugar and puree. In a large heavy duty, zip top bag, put pieces of skirt steak and pour in marinade. Seal bag, removing as much air as possible. Allow steak to marinate for 1 hour in refrigerator.

Remove steak from bag and pat dry with paper towels. Using a blow dryer, blow charcoal clean of ash. Once clean of ash lay steaks directly onto hot coals for 1 minute per side. When finished cooking, place meat in double thickness of aluminum foil, wrap, and allow to sit for 15 minutes.

Remove meat from foil, reserving foil and juices. Slice thinly across the grain of the meat. Return to foil pouch and toss with juice. Serve with grilled peppers and onions, if desired.

Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/skirt-steak-recipe.html?oc=linkback

·
Registered
15,629 Posts
Interesting concept. I recall seeing a video of African Natives taking an Ostrich Egg, breaking it, and placing it into burning coals. Guess if you hungry enough? Anton Brown is one of my favorites, I'm sure it will be great. Almost everything he does looks good to me.

Denny

·
Registered
14,645 Posts
may have to try something like that. Thanks Rob

Hi Denny

·
Registered
20,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Interesting concept. I recall seeing a video of African Natives taking an Ostrich Egg, breaking it, and placing it into burning coals. Guess if you hungry enough? Anton Brown is one of my favorites, I'm sure it will be great. Almost everything he does looks good to me.

Denny
Sure is, I saw the Good Eats episode a while back and just getting around to making it. Also making the Spanish rice recipe I posted a few weeks ago to go with this...

You have to think what did people use to cook with before steel/iron was invented.

Sticks and rocks were tools used on cooking. I can't wait for dinner...

·
Registered
15,629 Posts
Sure is, I saw the Good Eats episode a while back and just getting around to making it. Also making the Spanish rice recipe I posted a few weeks ago to go with this...

You have to think what did people use to cook with before steel/iron was invented.

Sticks and rocks were tools used on cooking. I can't wait for dinner...
Rob

This is something I've been wanting to do but never quite made it around to do it, so I will right now. Thank you very much! For turning me onto your Okra and Tomato dish. Growing up in the Midwest, Okra was not something you saw. Moving south you commonly found it fried, but any other way was never really was on my radar screen. It is now and I thank you. It's one of my preferred veggie dishes especially during Summer.

Denny

·
Registered
20,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rob

This is something I've been wanting to do but never quite made it around to do it, so I will right now. Thank you very much! For turning me onto your Okra and Tomato dish. Growing up in the Midwest, Okra was not something you saw. Moving south you commonly found it fried, but any other way was never really was on my radar screen. It is now and I thank you. It's one of my preferred veggie dishes especially during Summer.

Denny
Thanks for the props Denny. Growing up my Great Aunt did the cooking, Gramma not so much, well she did but her sisters was better. lol Mostly we would have steamed okra or okra and tomatoes, she also canned the okra and tomatoes so that was a staple through the year. I never remember her roasting them. I discovered that myself as a way to eat healthier and as a way to introduce it to other people. The steamed/boiled texture gives a lot of people a problem cause it's kinda slimy and they don't like that. Roasted isn't like that :)

BTW whats that in the left corner of the plate?

·
Bovine Scatologist
17,834 Posts
My Mom made an Okra and tomato dish all the time. She called it okra "gumbo", but now I know better. Either way, it is simple and good. Make sure you add onion to the saute, by the way.

As for the grilling, directly on coals... We call them cowboy steaks. I've done it a few times. Not totally uncommon round these parts. I'm surprised y'all have never done it.

·
Registered
15,629 Posts
Thanks for the props Denny. :)

BTW whats that in the left corner of the plate?
You are very welcome! The "stuff" on the corner of the plate is Creamed Basil Pearl Couscous. Basically Pearl Couscous in a Basil/Parmesan Cheese/Cream sauce. A bit like an Alfredo sauce only w/o the bacon. Rich starch dish that goes well with most seafood.

Denny

·
Registered
20,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You are very welcome! The "stuff" on the corner of the plate is Creamed Basil Pearl Couscous. Basically Pearl Couscous in a Basil/Parmesan Cheese/Cream sauce. A bit like an Alfredo sauce only w/o the bacon. Rich starch dish that goes well with most seafood.

Denny
I never herd of pearl couscous...

·
Registered
20,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My Mom made an Okra and tomato dish all the time. She called it okra "gumbo", but now I know better. Either way, it is simple and good. Make sure you add onion to the saute, by the way.

As for the grilling, directly on coals... We call them cowboy steaks. I've done it a few times. Not totally uncommon round these parts. I'm surprised y'all have never done it.
Yeah, I just never got around to it. My family didn't really grill out/BBQ when I was young, I just wing various recipes I find that suit me.

:)

·
Registered
20,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The marinade..

Marinating in the bag..

The veggies...

The finished product...

This served three with a few pieces of steak left and was damn good.

Authentic paletas for dessert..

1 - 20 of 36 Posts