Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The mini alternators found on many Japanese import engines that have a small vacuum pump attached to the back of them for boosting brake signal etc - has anybody used one to draw vacuum from the engine? If so, what sort of pressure will it suck?

·
Registered
16,465 Posts
The mini alternators found on many Japanese import engines that have a small vacuum pump attached to the back of them for boosting brake signal etc - has anybody used one to draw vacuum from the engine? If so, what sort of pressure will it suck?

A friend of mine tried one of these on his 815cid mountain motor - it pulled such a high vacuum that it collapsed both valve covers, the oil pan and cracked the block.

Just kidding - the answer to your question is that pump is absolutely too small to do anything but provide a small vacuum for a car's accessories as you describe. I'm sure it has a strong vacuum capability, but the flow won't be sufficient.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What about using it to replace a PCV in a valve cover? - just trying to relieve the likelihood of gasket leaks etc as opposed to making power with it?

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
what is the part number or what does it come stock on? I will try it..G

·
Registered
368 Posts
I have seen those on the w-4 cab over trucks with 4 cylinder diesel engines / pump on back of alternator use to eat bearings up with daily use . This also uses the pump to suck exhaust when you apply exhaust brake on some models .Try anything once ?

·
Registered
534 Posts
A friend of mine tried one of these on his 815cid mountain motor - it pulled such a high vacuum that it collapsed both valve covers, the oil pan and cracked the block.

Just kidding - the answer to your question is that pump is absolutely too small to do anything but provide a small vacuum for a car's accessories as you describe. I'm sure it has a strong vacuum capability, but the flow won't be sufficient.

That was funny.........I was thinking...wow, what a pump...

·
Registered
14,969 Posts
Now, that is a handy little item. Where do i get one of those? I build hot rods for a living and that little gizmo would solve a few problems with a cammed street rodder that wants power brakes, i have been using the electric pumps but they are maintenace heavy and a bit unreliable. Thanks, oj

·
Registered
14,969 Posts
Thanks, i'll get one and mess with it and let you guys know.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I tried one and the small carbon vanes in the pump broke up and siezed the alternator and pump solid. I think they need alot of oil mist in the air that they pump.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts