Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
16 Volt system, how reliable is 2 batteries vs. 1 battery and an alternator? I am currently running a single D1600 with an alternator and it’s been great, but the new setup is a little tighter under the hood and not sure if it’s worth the hassle to make the alternator work. Car is driven to the lanes and back to the pits after the pass, never towed. Thanks

·
Registered
155 Posts
As long as you charge between rounds you should be fine. I do tow up to the lanes but I often drive back, I rarely see a drop in voltage by the time I get to the pits. I have two d1000 batteries. I also always leave my car on float charge when in the garage.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I gave up on alternators twice. I can't keep the belt on at 10k. I now run a single D1600 no alternator, drive up to the lanes and back to the pits, and I can go 2-3 runs with no issues. Probably more but I haven't tried it. I tend to charge it every run just to maximize the life of the battery. The bulk of the charging is done in 10-15 minutes. A big part of this is the mechanical fuel pump. The only significant draw on the battery is the starter and the radiator fan. With a big electric fuel pump that draws a ton of power, two batteries would be the way to go, and should still last longer than my one battery does. Charge time will be longer. I did run a single battery even with an electric fuel pump several years ago, and it worked, but it took a lot longer to recharge and I don' think it would make it for more than 1 run on a charge.

I actually ran a single 12v battery with no alternator all of last year and that worked ok. I used a boost a pump to boost the voltage to my ECU, engine harness, and MSD box to 13.5v. Not the most stable setup but it worked. :) I like the 16v battery better for obvious reasons.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the response. I will be running a 2035 fuel pump which I know has some draw. I'm worried if I have to hot lap it, can 2 or 3 runs be made without really loosing voltage?

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
You'd have to try it to be sure, but I'd bet with two batteries and the 25 amp charger you'd be fine. It would probably work with one battery too, but the pucker factor goes up with each run. :D I ran it this way (1 battery an electric pump) in 2008 and thought I had issues, but that turned out to be a dying A1000. With about 10-15 minutes between rounds it was still working, but I was nervously watching the voltage gauge and wideband constantly.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Thanks for the response. I will be running a 2035 fuel pump which I know has some draw. I'm worried if I have to hot lap it, can 2 or 3 runs be made without really loosing voltage?

same pump here i have never hot lapped my car but it gets up to full charge quick with the powermaster charger

1 - 6 of 6 Posts