Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
9,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Denso 50 amp mini alternator .right now while running it only puts out 11,85 volts..is there anyone that i can send it to to up the amps and get it to put out at least 12-13 volts?

·
Registered
26,607 Posts
Probably not going to ever get good amperage/voltage from one. You likely havew too much load for it.

·
Registered
9,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Ray for the reply,,not what i wanted to hear though...LOL.
i hate to think of having to change up a bunch of stuff.

·
Registered
26,607 Posts
Thanks Ray for the reply,,not what i wanted to hear though...LOL.
i hate to think of having to change up a bunch of stuff.
There are very, very few drag cars that a mini alternator will have enough output for. Pretty much a fan and fuel pump will be too much for them at idle. Really pisses me off that the companies that sell them dont mention that to potential customers. Work well for circle track cars, as they mostly just have ignition to worry about. Sorry for the news too.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
If you are running EFI I would strongly recommend changing to a 16 Volt system. You will end up fighting too many issues with the 12 Volt system.

·
Registered
9,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They do sell the same alternator in 16 volts.here's a discription.do you think this will work?

16 Volt, 55 Amp, Super Mini Denso Style

Make dead batteries a thing of the past! This little alternator is perfect for race cars with 55 amp or less electrical loads. This Nippon Denso model is lightweight and has a space saving casting size with a 5.5" bolt circle and is 5" deep from belt centerline to rear of alternator. Works great on dragsters or door cars with limited electrical accessories. Easy to hook up, one wire is all it takes! Each alternator is designed to work with 12 volt electrical systems and charges to 16 volts. It's fully compatable with 16 volt racing battery's such as Turbostart and other similar racing batterys. Also available is our complete alternator mounting kits.
  • 55 Amps
  • 16 Volts
  • 5.5" Bolt Circle
  • 5" from Belt CL to Rear Housing
  • 7 lbs Shipping Weight

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Do you have a motor plate
I run a 130 amp mustang alternator and it's tucked out of the way on the bottom of my motor plate

·
Registered
9,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
yes..mine is bolted to the motor plate.thats why id like to stay with the same one and/or design so i dont have to make new brackets and mounts if possible.but hey,,i'll have to do what i have to do.

·
Registered
26,607 Posts
16 volts can as does cause more problems than a 12 volt system ever will. Dont know how many guys i have switched back to 12volts.

55amps is 55amps. If you have a fan drawing 25amps, and a fuel pump drawing 15amps, iginition drawing 10amps, 5amps battery maintenance, and some lights, you are already past the maximum of the alternator, at idle. Add in that 16volts the amperage requirement of your components will increase as well.

Post a picture of your engine bay/in front of the motor. Might be a spot for you to tuck a larger alternator in, which will give you less headaches, and less cost.

·
Registered
9,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Isnt much room for anything Ray.but here's a picture.thats with the Down pipe off.it passes right in front there.

·
Registered
9,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ray,the little alternator i have now is a 1 wire deal.i found an alternator that my son isnt using and was wondering how to hook this one up. here's a picture of the back.the white/black wire jumps from whatever that gray thing is and plugs in the alternator. the yellow wire come off the post to the gray thing and the green wire come out the gray thing and goes???? how would i hook that up wire wise compared to what i have? its off his 89 Mustang 5.0 . i think its about a 120 amp.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
what you have to watch is that the EFI systems have a low voltage correction. If your voltage drops below X it will automatically add X amount of fuel.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts

·
Registered
9,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ok, after doing a little search it does seem to be a 130 amp 3G .in the diagram above,how do i connect that up using my cut off switch?
thanks

·
Registered
26,607 Posts
Wire the main battery output directly to the battery. You will need 1 ga or 1/0 wire. Likely have to do a little grinding on the cable end that goes on the back of the alternator.

The green wire with red stripe going to the regulator. You run this off a toggle switch if you like, or a 12volt positive power source that only comes live when the engine is running. Run the lead to one side of an LED pigtail ($5 at parts store), then run the other lead of the pigtail to the green wire. The LED will light when the alternator is not charging, and go out when the alternator is charging.

·
Registered
9,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ok gotha..thanks.

i'll try that and hope it cures the problem.130amps should be more than enough amps for my car..i have no electric fuel pump..i just the ECM,fan, water pump,trans brake,ignition and intercooler pump.i do have lights, but never use them.if i run at night i only use the park lamps.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
bruce is the new alt the same size as the old one as far as the body goes I have a mini as well and would like to find a larger amp alt but space is my problem also

·
Registered
9,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
nah,its bigger, but ill find a way to fit it.only deal now is the new alternator has a serpetine pulley and i need to find a v groove pulley to fit it.ill have to measure the shaft size.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
1 - 20 of 41 Posts