Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 71 Nova that has the factory external regulator setup for the alternator. The car now has a front motor plate and the old low mount setup does not work anymore. I'm thinking about mounting the alternator backwards (ie with the pulley facing the engine instead of the radiator) so the pulleys align. Couple of questions... Is is true that the old external reg GM alternators don't charge if they are run in reverse? If that's true, can I just convert to an SI or CS type later model alternator? And lastly, is the procedure in this link correct for converting external regulator to an internal regulator???

http://www.wallaceracing.com/alt-conversion.html

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
26,607 Posts
I've got a 71 Nova that has the factory external regulator setup for the alternator. The car now has a front motor plate and the old low mount setup does not work anymore. I'm thinking about mounting the alternator backwards (ie with the pulley facing the engine instead of the radiator) so the pulleys align. Couple of questions... Is is true that the old external reg GM alternators don't charge if they are run in reverse? If that's true, can I just convert to an SI or CS type later model alternator? And lastly, is the procedure in this link correct for converting external regulator to an internal regulator???

http://www.wallaceracing.com/alt-conversion.html

Thanks guys!
To change over from externally regultared to internally regulated, we always recommend just going to a one wire type alternator. That way all you do is install the one wire alternator, connect it to a battery, and no more wiring is needed.

As for spinning the alternator backwards. Not good if you street drive at all. The fans suck air from behind, but if you spin them the wrong way they push the air, which isnt as efficient. They will still cool, but not at 100amp output over time they will overheat.

If you are just at the strip, you should get away with it. Would recommend a higher output alternator so that it was operating in a more efficient band than a lower output alternator. i.e. 160amp alternator producing 80amps is working 50%, where as a 80amp alternator producing 80amps is at 100% capability.

If you are on the street and lower output is ok, you can get a one wire older Honda alternator. They normally spin backwards, so on a domestic motor reversed, they would be spinning properly. (I have a gold plated one in stock, only want $400 for it, LOL)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.