Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
13,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two really good friends that are excellent drag racers and been racing for years. One says to use an alternator to keep the voltage steady and consistent the other says to just re-charge between rounds. I don't have one now, but the engine is out for repairs and not sure if I should add one. They are both convinced they are right. What are you running and why?

·
A.K.A. MEAN Matt
3,581 Posts
Well, I'm a bracket racer and even though I run No-Box stuff I still have alot of electronics on my ride and I double enter alot. I run an alternator just so I don't have a problem.

Electric fans, fuel pumps, water pumps etc, etc all use alot of juice. Half the time I'm driving right back up to the staging lanes for the next round of eliminations so theres no time to put it on the charger.

I would suggest using and alternator. Just one less thing to do to the car between runs.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I run one also .. keeps voltage good at all times the car is running and like mentioned above one less thing to worry about between rds. I charge mine once or twice a month and call it good.

·
F.T.W. KILL EM ALL
10,841 Posts
Been Racing since the 80's never ran a Alternator EVER & never had any issues.Dont mind hooking up the charger after a pass.Honestly its probably not a bad idea to run one.I just have been one of the many that never did.Besides...its also less weight up front! :rolleyes: :-D:-D

·
Senior phuckstick
1,801 Posts
I've always run one. I still charge between rounds while cooling down.
My alt. runs off a very small pulley on my Moroso drive that runs the vac pump. -It's less than 1:1

·
Former RJ instigator
41,129 Posts
Ive run one and I've run without one, either way I always charge my battery between rounds, it's a no brainer.

If you do not run one, you don't have to worry about a belt flying off or the alternator having a electrical malfunction.

JMO> Cp

·
Registered
26 Posts
If you're worried about the pull on horsepower then having an on-off switch so you can turn it off during he run will help out some.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I have tried an on/off switch and I didn't gain anything just my experience. I think it is a good idea to run one, I always have.

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
There are many answers to this question and really there are only a few that are wrong. In my professional opinion it goes like this.

It really depends on your car. If you bracket race it I would use one. Reason is if you get hot lapped and dont have time to charge between rounds the alt will keep the battery full. And besides in bracket racing its not the fastest car that wins but the one that is most consistent. Having consistent voltage will help the car be more repeatable.

If you race heads up use a 16 volt and no alternator. Less weight on the front and less drag on the engine, turning the rotor and fan is what consumes the most hp not the production of electricity.

That is just my .02, but what do I know I just worked for Powermaster in the tech dept for 7 yrs and now work for XS Power batteries...LOL

·
time to go racing yet ?
33,045 Posts
i bracket race and always had one , half the time i never even use my battery charger .

do the switch thing for a test , turn on everything on the car with the engine running , turn the alt off , the engine will die down , turn it on and the engine will pick up rpms , having the correct voltage for your ignition system is critical and having the correct voltage makes everything work easier

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
U dont need it with good batteries. And you make more power with out one.
I disagree. The extra power you may make from not running an alternator can easily be negated by the loss in power that can happen from a slight voltage drop to your ignition system. enough of a voltage drop from going rounds late in a race can make a significant difference in your ET.

Keep your car the most consistent by running an alternator.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Also could depend on application.. I run a a modular 2v motor with a YSI blower and spin the shit out of the motor, so I rather not run the risk of seizing up an alternator on a run. I use 2 16V batteries and just charge in between rounds.

·
Montgomery Ragland
3,016 Posts
do the switch thing for a test , turn on everything on the car with the engine running , turn the alt off , the engine will die down , turn it on and the engine will pick up rpms , having the correct voltage for your ignition system is critical and having the correct voltage makes everything work easier
X1000 My BS3 gets real pissy when my alt quits. Car for the most part wont even run.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts