Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 98/99 ZZ4 SBC turned into race engine... Has the old double hump heads with no accessory holes and I'm running an electric water pump by Proform. Trying to find an alternator bracket that will work with this combo that I have. I bought a plain jane low mount alternator bracket and a powermaster single groove pulley to mount my Tuffstuff 7127D (10si) alternator. Had to space it slightly to get the pulleys to line up, but once I did, it bolted up and looked like it was going to work. I saw that the pitman arm was close to it with the wheel straight but it never crossed my mind... (yeah, I know, I'm a dumbass.) So after about a month of it sitting bolted up with belt on it, I go to turn the wheel to the right while doing something to the car only to realize the pitman arm hits the alternator.

I searched the internet long and hard before I started this installation and couldn't find anything that would work with an electric water pump and the heads I have, which is why I went with the low mount. I was wondering if anyone has ever had an electric wp, double humps heads with an alternator and what bracket was used. Unless I miraculously find something on EBAY that I overlooked, my options look to be make my own or not even run an alternator. Thanks for any help

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So far, this is the closest I have found but it appears it would only work with a mechanical pump with accessory holes in it...

·
Smashing Big Blocks
7,693 Posts
So far, this is the closest I have found but it appears it would only work with a mechanical pump with accessory holes in it...

I have that alternator bracket on my proform pump

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have that alternator bracket on my proform pump
So you leave a bolt out of the bracket to the water pump on the electric? When I look at the pics of this bracket with the mechanical, you have the 2 bolts that go through the water pump port into the block. Then a third goes into an accessory hole into a pump like this Summit Racing® Aluminum Water Pumps SUM-310116

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Get rid of that giant alternator and put a CS-130 on it. The one to use is off a 89 Suburban with a 454. Works great I have converted all my old cars over to them.

·
Shrewd Negotiator
9,629 Posts

·
Registered
1,745 Posts

·
Registered
5,099 Posts
I used a Powermaster setup with a mini alt on my 85 Camaro. It mounts to the 2 lower holes on the frt. of the block. Even with the mini alt. it's very close to the pitman arm and the cotter pin has actually left a mark on the alt.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
What about the old header mount with the long arm from the manifold style?
Yeah, thats pretty much the way they used to mount the alternator with those heads. Friend of mine had the same problem and ended up using this cheap ass bracket from Summit. I dont like the look of an alternator hanging out and up like that but not many other options,

I think the arm can go to the upper water pump hole

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, thats pretty much the way they used to mount the alternator with those heads. Friend of mine had the same problem and ended up using this cheap ass bracket from Summit. I dont like the look of an alternator hanging out and up like that but not many other options,

I think the arm can go to the upper water pump hole
Yeah, I knew that "L" bracket is an option but the only thing with having the alternator that high up, is that I think the water pump would be in the path of the belt and would hit the pump... but it might it clear it with a lwp pulley. I haven't found anything that would work with what I already have. Didn't want to spend $300+ on an alternator and bracket setup (and don't see myself doing that) but it's biting me in the ass now. Just trying to get my ass to the track and not spend a fortune on it since this is my first drag car, which is why I have a cheaper SBC with a set of double hump heads... lol

·
Registered
14,070 Posts
Hard to tell from the pic, but it looks like if you took the belt off and the smaller adjustment bolt out of the Alt and then swinging it on the pivot bolt moved it upward that the idler arm etc would clear? If that is the case then all you would need do is to get the correct belt and make the adjustment strap, which is usually pretty easy to make.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Here's a bracket that's similar to the first one posted, except specifically for electric water pumps

It looks like that one still requires the holes in the cylinder head.
Use this bracket, then make yourself a second bracket that bolts around the front two header bolts on that side, wraps around the front of the head, and has an anchor hole for the long bolt.

Not hard at all if you've got even moderate fab skills and a welder.

I've built custom low mount alt brackets that anchor off the original mechanical fuel pump mounting bolt pattern, starting with a length of nicely cut, shaped, and clearance 3"x3" heavy angle iron. Gets you a kind of mid-low mount that is just above the lower radiator hose and doesn't hang down by the drag link/idler arm.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hard to tell from the pic, but it looks like if you took the belt off and the smaller adjustment bolt out of the Alt and then swinging it on the pivot bolt moved it upward that the idler arm etc would clear? If that is the case then all you would need do is to get the correct belt and make the adjustment strap, which is usually pretty easy to make.
I like this idea. That should keep me from buying another pulley and using majority of the parts and hardware I already have. I'll look at it tomorrow to see what I can maybe do with it.

Use this bracket, then make yourself a second bracket that bolts around the front two header bolts on that side, wraps around the front of the head, and has an anchor hole for the long bolt.

Not hard at all if you've got even moderate fab skills and a welder.

I've built custom low mount alt brackets that anchor off the original mechanical fuel pump mounting bolt pattern, starting with a length of nicely cut, shaped, and clearance 3"x3" heavy angle iron. Gets you a kind of mid-low mount that is just above the lower radiator hose and doesn't hang down by the drag link/idler arm.
Another good idea/s, especially if I can't get bottlefed's idea to work. Thanks!

Drill and tap the head ?
Steve
That would be a sure way for me to fuck up the head lol It is a last option though

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
I done it also Tom and it will work, like you said he maybe wanting to keep those old head preserved?

Steve

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Have you looked at the Moroso bracket that runs across the front of the block with its mounting points at the water pump bolts? Pretty flashy billet aluminum piece....

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Don't want to drill the head because I'm not comfortable with drilling something like that when I don't know the anatomy of it (where the water jackets/steam holes are at).

I've debated everything, and I'm determined to make what I have work. Worked on it the last half of the day and I'm on to something. Had to do some modifying, but I believe it's going to work well, even though it'll be in a TIGHT place. I'll post pics when I finish it tomorrow. All that's left is making 2 little brackets, painting them and then bolting it all back together and the alternator SHOULD be mounted for the last and final time. Thanks for all the suggestions!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts