Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Let the Clutch Out
17,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After pulling my MSD Pro Billet Dizzy apart to lock it out and when I get it apart I am Disgusted with the amount of rust the thing has in it. My Dad has a MSD Dizzy from the Early 80's and the thing still looks like new inside , makes no sense to me. But regaurdless I am having issues with the last two engines running very rich. The First one Was a Box Stock 8896 1050HP that was on a Big Block , second one is 4150 750 HP built by a Very repuitble carb Guy on my Dads 406. Both engines would run Very Rich , Plugs are black.

Originally I Figured it was the Carb on the BBC , well I sold the Carb when I sold the engine . I just recently spoke to the guy that bought it and I asked him if he did anything to it after he bought it, His reply was "Yes I had to richen the mixture up that thing was terribly lean" So Now I am beginning to wonder If I have a igniton Problem .

Anyways has anybody tried a different Ignition system? Currently I have 84891 Pro Billet Dizzy, 6AL , and a Blaster 3 Coil .

·
All motor wannabe
5,904 Posts
I personally haven't ran anything other then msd. They have a pretty solid reputation as the guys to go to for ignition parts. But you have mallory,I.c.e., etc.

Maybe it's time for a hotter box like a 7al or a power grid that's what I run.

·
Butch
8,209 Posts
After pulling my MSD Pro Billet Dizzy apart to lock it out and when I get it apart I am Disgusted with the amount of rust the thing has in it. My Dad has a MSD Dizzy from the Early 80's and the thing still looks like new inside , makes no sense to me. But regaurdless I am having issues with the last two engines running very rich. The First one Was a Box Stock 8896 1050HP that was on a Big Block , second one is 4150 750 HP built by a Very repuitble carb Guy on my Dads 406. Both engines would run Very Rich , Plugs are black.

Originally I Figured it was the Carb on the BBC , well I sold the Carb when I sold the engine . I just recently spoke to the guy that bought it and I asked him if he did anything to it after he bought it, His reply was "Yes I had to richen the mixture up that thing was terribly lean" So Now I am beginning to wonder If I have a igniton Problem .

Anyways has anybody tried a different Ignition system? Currently I have 84891 Pro Billet Dizzy, 6AL , and a Blaster 3 Coil .
Crane Cam's "Fireball" ignition is an EXCELLENT choice in terms of a box, coil and plug wires. I use their box Fireball Hi-6DSR (Dual Stage built in rem limter, one all the time and one activated off built in trigger/two step), Drag Race Coil, 8.5mm FireWire plug wires and their locked out laser pick up distributor, and I have their distributor with adjustable built in timing curves. Both are very good, I prefer their locked out units for any track use but both are built for the track.

PM me if interested, I have sold a good number of them and the price is very good. I would not trade my box for any other. The only thing I don't like about their FireWire is they are black, with light color wires you can see if there is any carbon tracking which is about impossible with a black wire

·
Butch
8,209 Posts
Try out the Firecore Performance line of distributors. Hot forged billet, steady spark to 10,000 rpm. Call us, Bob can answer all of your questions.
Got a link with any info on them?

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
The msd rusty reluctor is a problem for some and others never have it rust form what I've read. Mine rusted bad and it was a replacement reluctor I bought after the orig was damaged. The orig one never rusted, so I assume it's another outsourcing failure and they changed the metallurgy or something.

ICE is suppose to be good stuff.

·
Premium Member
49,715 Posts
Periodically serving an MSD distributor becomes second nature. About every 3 years I take it apart, inspect the gear, clean everything (which includes polishing the shaft) and Lubriplate the shaft. It's a bit of a hassle but a small price to pay. I wouldn't run anything else.

·
Registered
5,561 Posts
Scott, this is a well-known issue with MSD. This is one of the reason on my street cars I want to run a modified HEI or something. MSD does have a "marine" option that will solve that issue.

Piss poor way of doing business if you ask me! IF you know there is a known issue with RUST, and the fix is these "marine" upgrades, WHY NOT JUST USE MARINE IN ALL!!!!!

Personally I just put in a Pertronix conversion kit in my 61 348. I used the ignitor but in retrospect I should have just went to the Ignitor 3 with all the goodies.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Scott, this is a well-known issue with MSD. This is one of the reason on my street cars I want to run a modified HEI or something. MSD does have a "marine" option that will solve that issue.

Piss poor way of doing business if you ask me! IF you know there is a known issue with RUST, and the fix is these "marine" upgrades, WHY NOT JUST USE MARINE IN ALL!!!!!

Personally I just put in a Pertronix conversion kit in my 61 348. I used the ignitor but in retrospect I should have just went to the Ignitor 3 with all the goodies.
Msd is junk in my opinion. I've never understood why so many people run msd when there stuff is made in China . They have the best marketing team in the ignition industry.

I run a pertronox ignitor 3 and it works awesome. I was really impressed with how crisp it starts, runs,and revs . The engine even sounds cleaner with ignitor 3 .The little module in the distributor is basically a built in ignition box with rev limiter. It is very simple to setup and use .Imo it is way better quality than a msd distributor. I believe the pertronix and the crane ignition are superior to the msd stuff.

·
Premium Member
49,715 Posts
Well you know what they say about opinions.

·
Registered
5,735 Posts
Msd is junk in my opinion. I've never understood why so many people run msd when there stuff is made in China . They have the best marketing team in the ignition industry.

I run a pertronox ignitor 3 and it works awesome. I was really impressed with how crisp it starts, runs,and revs . The engine even sounds cleaner with ignitor 3 .The little module in the distributor is basically a built in ignition box with rev limiter. It is very simple to setup and use .Imo it is way better quality than a msd distributor. I believe the pertronix and the crane ignition are superior to the msd stuff.

And you have guys on here busting peoples balls like mine for coming out with a cnc head based on an import casting all the while they are building engines stuffed with Scat, Eagle and MSD.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
There a big difference between having the machine work done in China vs USA . A hunk of aluminum is a hunk of aluminum for the most part .

Ive seen some Msd distributors that look almost identical to the cheap Chinese jegs and eBay distributors on the inside.
They do say opinions are like assholes but this assholes opinion is based on my real world experience which is enough for me .

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Why not just take it all apart, clean everything. Apply some grease very thin like and wipe off excess where the rust was and reassemble? That way you might save some cash, and find another problem in the process!!!
Just a thought.

·
Let the Clutch Out
17,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Why not just take it all apart, clean everything. Apply some grease very thin like and wipe off excess where the rust was and reassemble? That way you might save some cash, and find another problem in the process!!!
Just a thought.
Thats what I am doing to my Brand New Dizzy right now , Just think its is Crap the thing has 7 passes on it and its rusted like it is. Plus sometimes Change is just what you need.

·
Long Live The King
106,074 Posts
I wish I could find the picture of my old MSD out of my boat from a few years back. Yikes, the thing was a rusty mess but never missed a beat.

·
Registered
6,482 Posts
I have seen the corrosion a number of times in mine and a couple other billet distributors from friends, and it's pretty crazy how bad some of these get yet they seem to keep right on ticking ......Personally I like their products and have had very little trouble with them, just got a 6AL back from repair (in the US of A) that took less than 2 weeks turn around and less than fifty bucks

Dielectric grease works pretty good on these billet's when you put a thin smear on everything ..... there is also a "cleaner/lubricant aerosol spray" from Radio Shack that gives excellent results also

1 - 20 of 46 Posts