All about 9" Ford Thirdmembrs

40K views 50 replies 34 participants last post by  Mark_MWE 
#1 ·
Am looking for a strong through bolt alloy 9" case the considerations are
1/ Moser # 3250ALU @ ~$524
2/ YukonDOF9-3-325 @ ~$308
3/ Mark Williams #57440 @ ~$620
or any other suggestions please.

Is anyone able to shed any light on why there is such a price variation between these 3 units, when specification wise they appear identical.
Who of you is using any of these & in what application & HP
Thx in advance

#3 ·
Re: aluminum case comparison

thanks guys for all your replies, I ruled out the strange case even though I liked it, because I already have a pinion support. The Moser & Yukon cases have 7075 T6 caps which I would think to be best of any allot cap mat'l. I am making an asumption that the MW case, Which I have one of already for the car has 7075 caps also. this will be my spare/sconnd center with a street ratio in it & 35spline detroit locker.

#10 ·
Re: 9 inch bore case??

Mark Williams 35 spline spool #53145 will fit 2.983" or 3.062" cases. You will need to use MW splined axles in that spool. Most companies will cut axles to fit the MW spline angle and length.

Unless it's a NA 4 cylinder application, I would avoid 33 spline axles at all costs unless you don't mind wrecking your ride.

If you are to the point of needing a spool and good axles I would drop the couple extra bucks and get a 3.250" case. You can get a brand new 3.250 Yukon case for around $250 on E-bay.

#12 ·
Is 20lbs of unsprung weight really going to hurt me a lot? stock style suspension fox body, SBF, big ass turbo on methanol. Setting up for 2,000 HP on 29.5's.
I have a great price thru staticz2229 on a Yukon Pro nodular center with 9.5" pro gears. I know it will be strong enough for what I'm doing.
I have been looking at the aluminum strange HD bolt thru but was told by Strange it wasn't strong enough and that I needed to drop another $500 - $600 to upgrade to the Ultra case.
I'm just not sure it's necessary and trying to get an opinion from someone not trying to sell me something LOL
If I have to spend the extra coin I will but trying to finish the car on what's left of my budget. There have been a lot of +$500's that added up too quick haha.

#16 ·
Re: 3.250 vs 3.812 case

At what hp level should you upgrade to the 3.812 9" case? And is the Moser bolt through case as good as the strange ultra case? I have 40 spline axles. Looking to upgrade soon
May it be exactly as strong but it's very close... You can do 40 spline in a 3.250 case with a steel spool... What kind of power do you have?

I've been putting 1500hp thru 35 spline axles/alum spool for years but on small tires.

#19 ·
Re: Strange Pro HD vs. Strange Ultra - Change in driveshaft length???

I have both an Ultra Case and M/W aluminum case and they also interchange. Think about the question you're asking though. Same ring and pinion and same yoke, how could the driveshaft length change?

#20 ·
has any used speed master aluminum 3rd member, I one 1 cheap on ebay 128.00 plus55 dollard shipping I have a 3100lb 10 in ladder bar nos car ite runs 8.40s makes aroun 1150 to flywheel powerglide trans 4.10 gear i the ad says good to 1200 hp. seems to good tobe true and I know the saying .it has thrubolt 3.25 3 spline spool going in. thanks covertor is ptc 9 inch

#23 ·
Re: aluminum 3rd member

that was my feeling.so im going to go with MW but do i need the aluminum thru bolt case? I need axels and spool anyway should i get the 35 or 40spline car is 3100 lb with 1236 fly wheel hp powerglide 4.11 gear 28x10 inch tire leaving on nos car is ladder bar and coilovers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.