Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently made some changes to my rear suspension to be able to use a 15" wheel. Part of that was a bracket that relocated an arm from the stock position to clear the wheel. Now I noticed the car toes in and out as I drive as that arm seems to be flexing. Moving it toward the original position helped but I cant get it back exactly right without a spacer im having made. Im the mean time I went to the track and seem to be down about 4-5mph at the same power level.

Could this be part of that reason? Another thing I thought was partly to blame was the switch from a 18" drag radial to a 15" 275 mt pro radial.

·
KEVIN CAPS LOCK
82,661 Posts
SURE...WHEEL ALIGNMENT WOULD HAVE AN IMPACT I WOULD THINK....LETS SEE PICS OF YOUR INVENTION :)

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
If you're down 5 MPH due to alignment, something is drastically wrong and I assume dangerous!

·
Registered
784 Posts
If you're down 5 MPH due to alignment, something is drastically wrong and I assume dangerous!
I'm with this guy... 5MPH is ALOT, and the switch to bigger, sticky tires(If not needed) will impact MPH, but not that much...

·
Registered
13,634 Posts
Your alignment would need to be a DISASTER to cause a 5mph loss in trap speed.

·
Hemi's ROCK!!!
32,173 Posts
If the alignment is off enough to cause a MPH change on the big end, you would have other obvious symptoms of bad alignment. I suspect the alignment needs to be set because of the changes you made, but I would look elsewhere for the cause of the 5 mph drop... 0.02

Or, you could go down the track on the rear wheels... LoL...

·
Registered
4,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Lol damn forgot how quickly this place responds. Here is the "invention" though its not of my own design. You can see where the factory knuckle was cut off from the spindle so the arm is not were it was stock. Also DA was about 1200' worse so that accounts for some of it but not all of it I would think. But this thing makes the rear feel like its wobbling left to right and a buddy in driving next to me said he could appreciably see the toe moving in n out. Just was curious what an ideal alignment would be for drag(if there is a universal rule of thumb like that) and how much a poor alignment can be to blame for going from 167 to 163 trap speeds

·
Revolution Is My Name
20,381 Posts
I recently made some changes to my rear suspension to be able to use a 15" wheel. Part of that was a bracket that relocated an arm from the stock position to clear the wheel. Now I noticed the car toes in and out as I drive as that arm seems to be flexing. Moving it toward the original position helped but I cant get it back exactly right without a spacer im having made. Im the mean time I went to the track and seem to be down about 4-5mph at the same power level.

Could this be part of that reason? Another thing I thought was partly to blame was the switch from a 18" drag radial to a 15" 275 mt pro radial.
That is bump steer, you need that chit fixed. A good alignment is required.

·
Spiritual Gynocologist
80,189 Posts
Your alignment would need to be a DISASTER to cause a 5mph loss in trap speed.
I'm picturing rubber dust looking like a rooster tail!:)

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Alignment plays a huge part. This is probably one of the forgotten areas to gain ET & speed. Never set your alignment with the car at rest. We experimented with our settings back in the 70's when I raced in S/S & M/P. We gained over 2mph and a 10th + in ET. If I can help shoot me a PM. Bob

1 - 11 of 11 Posts