Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently running a pump gas 408 small block Mopar in my 1970 Duster. It runs 10.0'[email protected] but I lost some consistency with PA's Summer weather this year. Not really sure if the BP93 gas that I buy is blended as accurate as in the past. I have an 850 alcohol carb sitting here that I tried last year and I know alcohol has a bigger tuning window and is less affected by small weather changes. Now for the question. Are any of you guys using a Ron's primer plus with your alcohol carbs. I called Ron's and they said it MAY work but it MAY drawl fuel (alcohol) out of the carb and lines because there isn't a shut-off like you have on a toilet system. I would like to be able to warm up my engine on pump gas if possible to keep from burning thru so much alcohol during warm-ups and keeping heat in the engine.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
If you can shut the fuel off to the carb, then fire in on the primer, it will siphon the bowls dry in a short amount of time. Then when your warm, you can kick the fuel back on to the carb. Also James told you it MAY siphon fuel, he has alot more experience them me, but IMHO it WILL siphon fuel. Also I never like the idea of running the bowls dry, I would worry about a hung float, but guys do it all the time. I believe there are a few guys on DRR who do it that way.

·
Registered
371 Posts
We have quite a few customers using a primer plus with an alcohol carb. It works just fine. Just gotta turn the fuel off to the carb (if electric just turn the pump off) and let the bowls run dry. When you are ready to switch back to alky turn on the fuel pump and wait till you hear the engine tone sound then turn off the primer.

Scott

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We have quite a few customers using a primer plus with an alcohol carb. It works just fine. Just gotta turn the fuel off to the carb (if electric just turn the pump off) and let the bowls run dry. When you are ready to switch back to alky turn on the fuel pump and wait till you hear the engine tone sound then turn off the primer.

Scott

The car has an 8 gallon cell in the trunk with a BG400 pump and #10 line going to my regulator. When I called the tech line today he was pretty sure it would keep pulling fuel even with the pump shut off. i was prepared to buy the plate system today to help save alcohol, assist warm-up, lower race day fill-ups, and to shutdown on pump gas to lube cylinder walls. Do you think it would work with the set-up I have? THANKS.

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Fix the carb. I made 10 passes a week ago, 7 elimination rounds, and used about 7 gallons of methanol. 5.0's in the 1/8.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Thanks for the info. Something like this would probably work.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/aei-12331
thats not what you want. Like Scott said if its electric pump, just shut off the pump. What I was saying earlier is it will siphon the bowls, not the pump. If you still want a mechanical shut off, Scott, or James can set you up with a Rons product that is cable operated

·
Drag Week Survivor
14,416 Posts
I ran a 598 with two alky dominators on 93 octane pump gas. It took 1 qt of 93 to warm up to 180* vs 3 gallons of alky. I only did this because the primer plus was already on the car from having run a twin terminator the season before.

Once the engine was up to temp I would just use the leanout valve to keep temp up, but to start the day, the primer plus did save alot of methanol. It also seemed to stretch the oil change intervals out a bit too.

·
Registered
431 Posts
The primer system was not designed to allow the engine to run on gas, only to spray gas in to manifold to aid cold starts. If you try running alcohol carb on gas only it runs way rich( wont idle). What we did isinstalled a lean out valve . Drilled hole in manifold below carb, put in fitting, ran 3/8 line into cockpit and used a ballcock fitting to open and lean out. Engine would warm up in half the time.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
The primer system was not designed to allow the engine to run on gas, only to spray gas in to manifold to aid cold starts. If you try running alcohol carb on gas only it runs way rich( wont idle). What we did isinstalled a lean out valve . Drilled hole in manifold below carb, put in fitting, ran 3/8 line into cockpit and used a ballcock fitting to open and lean out. Engine would warm up in half the time.
I believe there referring to the primer plus, which is intended to run the engine on gas

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
yes primer plus
so to answer your original question. I personally believe it would likely siphon fuel without a fuel shutoff. But I have never ran a primer plus with an alky carb. Scott says it wont, and he is the man that would know!

·
Banned
4,023 Posts
so to answer your original question. I personally believe it would likely siphon fuel without a fuel shutoff. But I have never ran a primer plus with an alky carb. Scott says it wont, and he is the man that would know!
i know it would suck the bowls dry but you would think it would continue to pull fuel from the tank threw the regulator and tank im sure he is correct, i always just like to know how or why -why not , just not that ..o it will works i like to why that is the correct answer...lol

·
Registered
462 Posts
The primer plus has a solenoid shut off valve in the line from the pump. No electricity, no flow. The plus has a spray bar under the carb. I drive mine to and from lanes. Works great.

·
Banned
4,023 Posts
The primer plus has a solenoid shut off valve in the line from the pump. No electricity, no flow. The plus has a spray bar under the carb. I drive mine to and from lanes. Works great.
not the soilnoid for the prmier system but with the motor running on the primer system it will pull fuel from the carb bowls and suck them dry, which will lower the float in the carb bowl , witch will allow fuel to be sucked from the fuel tank..

·
Registered
462 Posts
not the soilnoid for the prmier system but with the motor running on the primer system it will pull fuel from the carb bowls and suck them dry, which will lower the float in the carb bowl , witch will allow fuel to be sucked from the fuel tank..
Fuel can't be sucked from the tank through the float bowls. They're open to the atmosphere through the vents. Once they're empty, they're empty until you turn the pump back on. I do it every time at the track.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts