Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alcohol and nitrous

Any opinions on running alcohol as a separate nitrous enrichment system? Pump gas (street/strip car) and use alcohol for the juice with separate pump and cell.

·
Registered
5,403 Posts
If you do a search on this web site I think you will find most run methanol as the main fuel and a nitrous/gas shot as the secondary.
The problem with methanol/nitrous method is the huge cooling effect. Methanol wants to absorb heat as soon as it is mixed with the air and nitrous going from a liquid to a gas wants to do the same thing. So now you have this very cold mixture filling and cooling off the cylinders. Thats great and if you can get enough heat in it during compression and get it lit, life would be awesome. I am thinking someone will figure it out, maybe 2 plugs per cylinder and a couple of pro-mags to get the party started but if someone is doing it they are keeping it to them self, and who can blame them.
For a street/strip car I think you will have a much easier time tuning it on just gas with gas/nitrous.

·
Registered
15,547 Posts
Alcohol and nitrous

Any opinions on running alcohol as a separate nitrous enrichment system? Pump gas (street/strip car) and use alcohol for the juice with separate pump and cell.
Mike... It's TROUBLE... with a capital T..;)
PS - Shipped your jets on Saturday...
Denny

·
Kelly's Nightmare
4,147 Posts
so alcohol in the injectors and c16 in the nitrous should work well then?

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, if you are carburated or injected on Alky and all's running well, it works great to add nitrous and racing gas.. This from my experience is the best way to go and makes great power too.. SJ
So I have to ask, why doesn't it work well the other way around? How would the engine know the difference?

·
Kelly's Nightmare
4,147 Posts
So I have to ask, why doesn't it work well the other way around? How would the engine know the difference?
from what i've been reading i think it has to do with the alcohol and nitrous taking far to much heat out of the cylinders. with the gas in the mix it adds some heat back in.

What would be an optimal Compression ratio for an alchy nitrous combo?

·
Registered
5,403 Posts
Mike, let me take a shot at explaining.
Methanol loves to suck up heat, thats it biggest claim to fame! When you spray Nitrous it is phase changing from a liquid to a gas and it is sucking up heat also. Try mixing it directly with methanol and the methanol will not vaporize or be easy to light. If you ever try starting a methanol motor when it get under 50 degs outside, it is not a happy camper. I bet there is some other technical data about flame speed and how methanol has a higher resistance to detonation but I will leave that for the experts.

850sportsman I think you will find most recommend compression ratio for methanol anywhere from 14:1 - 16:1

·
Kelly's Nightmare
4,147 Posts
850sportsman I think you will find most recommend compression ratio for methanol anywhere from 14:1 - 16:1
I've seen that for NA motors but does that go for Nitorus too? I was thinking i would have to get it down in the 13 range. but if it will live a 14:1 thats great.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Mike, let me take a shot at explaining.
Methanol loves to suck up heat, thats it biggest claim to fame! When you spray Nitrous it is phase changing from a liquid to a gas and it is sucking up heat also. Try mixing it directly with methanol and the methanol will not vaporize or be easy to light. If you ever try starting a methanol motor when it get under 50 degs outside, it is not a happy camper. I bet there is some other technical data about flame speed and how methanol has a higher resistance to detonation but I will leave that for the experts.

thanks...that kinda' makes sense.. so it's difficult to vaporize the methanol with existing nozzles...hmmm

1 - 14 of 14 Posts