Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rodney ask me to post some pictures of a new system we are working on for my 565 F3R-139 gas/carb non-intercooled application.
Bob has agreed to post them for me....thanks bob.

Blessings.......................Ron.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Very nice, dual pumps? Are they staged?

You also have staggered injectors in the charge pipe. Is this to cool and then cool again as opposed to all in one hit? Also are the pumps split to flow meth from one and water from the other according to boost? Love the neat bell mouth injector.....braided hose and aluminium fittings are so much more robust than plastic equivalents especially when you think how volatile methanol sprayed over a hot engine could be!!!!.

Cool set up.......

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll address some of your questions.

First let me say that at this boost level (38-40psi) without an intercooler and using gas/carb there is not much experience. So it's R&D time to understand what works and what does not. Previously I had my own designed water/meth system that was based on micro irrigation technolgy and was pressurized by a small Co2 cylinder. The design has limitations, where Rodneys AIS design has much more flexibility to go where it needs to go.

*Why two pumps?.....Each pump is designed to produce 200 psi at a specific volume, if you exceed the one pump volume you need to add a second pump to keep the pressure at 200 psi. Nozzel emitters are designed to produce a droplet size based on pressure and volume. This is very important to stay within the design perimeters for this science to work properly.

*Are the pumps staged or split?.....No, there in parallel and feed into one line.

*Why staggered injectors on the blower tube?....Just my own idea, since this system is going to produce a greater volume to reduce intake air temp it makes sense to not dump it all into one spot, but stage it along the air route to continue absorbing heat as it goes.

*What water/meth mixture (percentage)?....At this point we are testing percentages to see what we can do with a carb. With EFI you can pull out fuel anywhere you want. Little more tricky with a carb. But Kevin at CSU is working with me and we have incorporated some changes that I think will provide more flexibilty in that area. Need some track time, which is tuff this year so results are pending. So far (before CSU mods) I've tried 50m/50w and 60m/40w.

*How much are you injecting?....Starting point is 2-A114 nozzels blower inlet and 2-A17 staggered in blower tube.

*What kind of fuel running?....I'm running VP C-16. But I have run the VP Import and it is the very best for nonintercooled applications. Problem is, you have to leave your first born with them to purchase. So the C-16 will have to do and I think with Rodneys AIS system will be just fine.

I've been out three times since I installed this system. First two times out broke an input shaft on the launch. The third time fix'd input shaft breakage but we could not get car down track for a full pass. But based on what little info from data recorder that was useable it looks very promising.

Blessings...............Ron

·
Confused Racer
40,350 Posts
I thought the 2 step on the 10 plus is a little more violent than the rest of them hence killing the bushings. I have a gear drive and a 10 plus with a motec on my other car i am building.

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bob, on the starting line it does not seem to have any negative effects. If your hitting the high end rev limiter......with a blower none of them really like that. For what it's worth, my bushing life seems to be a lot longer than most I hear complaining about them. Not really sure why, could be in the tune-up. At this point my motor is really happy at 38-40 psi boost, seen as high as 46 psi but those are woopses and very brief. But I've got a pile of pistons in the shop for sure to get it that way:D.
For a blown engine,...especially one running alcohol that 10 plus is the best thing since sliced bread. It also seems to be excellent with the gas deals because we tend to run them rich. That thing is an arc welder in disguise. Real shame that MSD is going to stop producing them. Just not enough sales to warrent production.

Blessings.........Ron.

·
Confused Racer
40,350 Posts
I never use hi limit pills so thats good. I thought that people were complaining about it being rough and have yet to use one. Maybe i'll stack one on my dart with the msd7535 and see.

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Rodney, it's made out of alumium. I just used a piece of the 5" round anodized........made it oval...welded on some ends with outlet bung to drill and tap. Welded on screw on filler. It will work for as long as I will be using it.

Did you get rid of your cold that was hanging on?

Blessings..........Ron.

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Right now it's set up to run about 65% through the blower with the remaining 35% after to continue removing heat...among other things.

I'll most likely be increasing the after blower volume as we get into this.

Blessings.............Ron.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Hi Rodney, it's made out of alumium. I just used a piece of the 5" round anodized........made it oval...welded on some ends with outlet bung to drill and tap. Welded on screw on filler. It will work for as long as I will be using it.

Did you get rid of your cold that was hanging on?

Blessings..........Ron.
The cold is about gone 99% gone. Almost 100%.

Keep an eye on the inside of that aluminum tank. Being aluminum and un-coated its going to oxidize and turn white inside. Don't want to have any of that stuff get into the pumps etc. If you clean it regularly you can get by. Or send it out and have it anodized.

Other then that the tank looks great.

Rodney

·
Registered
198 Posts
Love the setup, I have the same bell mouth, wonder if running the meth threw the blower is better than spraying in the discharge pipe?
There are unique benefits to spraying through the blower that you can't get when spraying after the compressor. When spraying through the supercharger or turbo we found the compressor will come into boost quicker while also seeing a slight increase in boost on the top end.

For more information on pre-compressor injection click on the link below.

http://www.alcoholinjectionsystems.com/a40/Where-Do-I-Position-My-Water-Injection-Nozzles/article_info.html

Rodney

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
There are unique benefits to spraying through the blower that you can't get when spraying after the compressor. When spraying through the supercharger or turbo we found the compressor will come into boost quicker while also seeing a slight increase in boost on the top end.

For more information on pre-compressor injection click on the link below.

http://www.alcoholinjectionsystems.com/a40/Where-Do-I-Position-My-Water-Injection-Nozzles/article_info.html

Rodney
thats cool, thanks for the link, i also will be getting a stage one from you soon, I think I talked to someone from AIS on Corral

1 - 20 of 28 Posts