Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys. Been a long time nitrous user, but after finding a steal on a complete F2 Procharger kit, I'm now hooked on forced induction. The kit came with a Procharger brand 1050hp capable air to air intercooler. Since I'm looking to make 1000RWHP I'm thinking that I'll need to make 1200HP at the crank? So my plan is to sell it. However I'm having trouble deciding on a replacement air to air IC to purchase.

What i have is:

1991 Mustang LX Street/ Strip
427cid. sbf
CSU blow thru carb w/ dual needle and seat bowls (superior)
Maybe running on E85
Steve Morris carb hat
Complete F2 Procharger kit w/ 5.40 ratio
Side Slinger renegade brackets
Cog belt set up
3.5" discharge
Would like to make 1000RWHP (if that's possible)

Some of my concerns are:

1. Getting the IC to fit in the front bumper cover. (have replaced the factory support with a chrome moly tube type set up to provide more room) While I'm willing to trim/ cut the bumper cover for additional IC roomI'm NOT Wanting to hack it up.

2. Will the engine cooling temps be raised because of the intercooler blocking air flow into to radiator?

3. Finding one that is efficient and reliable.

Been looking at 2 possible intercoolers. The first is from Procharger and is for a 2010 camaro race intercooler that will support 1300HP This intercooler measures 28"x12.5"x4.5". While it only has 3" tubes, I can simply cut them off and weld on some 3.5" tubes.
The second is from Chiseled Performance. This one has a very large core 27.8"x12.7"x5.1" so this one would be very large. Maybe too large to fit in the front of my mustang. Any help would be Great. With pics even better. Thanks

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
We'll have some bad ass 2000, 3000, and 4000 hp intercoolers available very shortly as well. :) All based off of Garrett A/W cores.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
My apologies, I misread your post. Thought you were looking for an A/W core. We will have a bolt on version of our 6" A/A available for the fox bodies in 1-2 weeks. Not sure how it will work with some of the front fascia's though.
http://www.shearerfabrications.com/products.php?itemid=199

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep. Only Air to Air. Since it's a STREET/ Strip car, an A2W isn't going to fly. Unfortunately the fox Mustang LX front facia doesn't have a whole lot of room for an IC. However I'm sure that someone on here has been there and overcome this problem. Pics of air to air intercoolers installations would be helpful. Thanks and Keep the Info Coming!!!!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My apologies, I misread your post. Thought you were looking for an A/W core. We will have a bolt on version of our 6" A/A available for the fox bodies in 1-2 weeks. Not sure how it will work with some of the front fascia's though.
http://www.shearerfabrications.com/products.php?itemid=199
Is that measurement of 24"x12"x6" the complete size of the intercooler or is that just the core? Also what would i need to change since my F2 has an outlet size of 3.5"?

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
I will try to get the measurements on mine. 93 Mustang GT front has 6 spearco cores. 3 wide and 2 thick. It was the PTK outlaw air/air for the SN95. If you can find there old website you can get the measurements. It is 4" in and 4" out. The only thing visible is in the center where you see the cores.

·
Custom Engine Shop
3,812 Posts
Yep. Only Air to Air. Since it's a STREET/ Strip car, an A2W isn't going to fly. Unfortunately the fox Mustang LX front facia doesn't have a whole lot of room for an IC. However I'm sure that someone on here has been there and overcome this problem. Pics of air to air intercoolers installations would be helpful. Thanks and Keep the Info Coming!!!!
Why won't a W/A work? Many people running W/A on the street with better performance than the A/A.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
You can run both the air to air and water meth kit or a really large a/a with a chiller on it.

I like the water meth first and then I go a/a with some form of spray chiller on it. go as big as you can and get it in the air stream. They only work with alot of air going across it.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Why don't you just ad meth injection & keep the IC you have.
I was thinking that in order for me to make close to 1000RWHP I will need to make approx 1200hp at the flywheel.:smt102 I was told that the 1050HP intercooler would then be a restricion.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You can run both the air to air and water meth kit or a really large a/a with a chiller on it.

I like the water meth first and then I go a/a with some form of spray chiller on it. go as big as you can and get it in the air stream. They only work with alot of air going across it.
How well does the water/ meth sys. work with a blow thru E85 carb set up? What's the best set up for a street/ strip car? Like I said I'm very new to all of this Procharger stuff.
Thanks!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
296 Posts
With e85 and a blowthru carb is an intercooler still necessary

i was thinking about removing my intercooler also and was wondering the same thing i believe it is better to run one but the question can you run safe without one???? has anyone log the air temp with and intercooler and with e85 without an intercooler??

·
Registered
296 Posts
I was thinking that in order for me to make close to 1000RWHP I will need to make approx 1200hp at the flywheel.:smt102 I was told that the 1050HP intercooler would then be a restricion.

if you are trying to make a lot off boost the intercooler might be to small and it will not flow enough air then it could be a restriction !!!

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
With e85 and a blowthru carb is an intercooler still necessary
Steve has a 540 F2 non intercooled gas set up making 1300hp video on one of his sites......The owner went 7's with it...Possibly Mike Jones I can't remember right now and am too lazy to trawl the video's..Try and search for the dyno run on youtube.....

Also there is 93octane with AIS meth on a SBC 400 F2 dyno vid at 1300hp which is limited by iron heads and single needle 750cfm 4150 carb. I think 30lbs boost was needed but that would decrease with better flowing heads.......

All good stuff if you need you passenger seat!!!!!

·
Registered
482 Posts
Any update on where you landed ZNP602?

·
Registered
12,487 Posts
Anyone have pics of a front mount air to air ic? I'm looking for possible options to lower may iat's that are affordable so I can finally drive my car.. its a 92 lx with a novi 2000 blower on it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts