Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Procharged SBC Enthusiast
5,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious to hear what A/F ratios people are using at WOT and maybe what engine that you are running this with . Be curious to hear all the different responses . Mine runs best at 12.5 wot sbc 23 degree.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Vader, you always have great posts. We must think alike. lol

How many degrees per pound do you pull to run the best with that 12.5:1 ratio?

·
5,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I pull 2 degrees for 30 pounds of boost . But I have good fuel and because I run a timing chain with a regular distributor and no crank trigger you can probably factor that another 4 degrees comes out for chain and gear slack . So probably 6 total .

You are doing it old school Vinny !! I like your style !!

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I don't use air fuel ratio...I use a big digital EGT gauge. My cars run their quickest at 1400-1410, but the most consistent at 1390. I also run bone stock pistons. The same has always been true on all my turbo and non turbo cars...

·
Registered
802 Posts
When i was non intercooled it liked 11.8 and pulling .4 per lbs after 10psi....
Intercooled its happy at 12.5 and pretty much full timing. I run into the the same issue as vader my timing fades away 4-6* so i usually only pull .1* per lbs

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
this is a real good question because i just switched to vp c16 and my afr are 11.8-12.0 with 70-78* of inlet temps on 20-22 lbs of boost.Timing is at 25.5 thru a belt drive and no crank trigger.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Cylinder head has a big factor on timing needed to burn fuel .Why pull any timing if your air temp is good . ;)

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
So would this mean that with an air to air intercooler and only 10 pounds of boost no timing should be pulled? It will run on 93 octane.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I pull 2 degrees for 30 pounds of boost . But I have good fuel and because I run a timing chain with a regular distributor and no crank trigger you can probably factor that another 4 degrees comes out for chain and gear slack . So probably 6 total .

You are doing it old school Vinny !! I like your style !!
Pulling 6 from what 32,34.36 ???Oldhead(32 all the time and 12.0 to 12.5 with C16)

·
Registered
96 Posts
I run 36 degrees out the back door, 35 PSI 13.0 AFR Q16 110 degrees.

That should get ya talking :)
But, but, Steve, everyone says you should need to pull a bunch of timing on a boosted motor...:-KFC

I think your timing light is just broke and giving you false numbers. :smt065

·
5,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Vader, did you come up with this by reading the plugs?
Yep, reading plugs and a lot of dyno testing at Steves . Truth be told we ran it a high as 42 degrees on the dyno but opted for safety over a little extra power .

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I don't think he would not give bad info. he's making us wonder how............Oldhead

·
5,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So would this mean that with an air to air intercooler and only 10 pounds of boost no timing should be pulled? It will run on 93 octane.
No pump fuel changes things imop. You have to look at boost as raising cylinder pressure which essentially is like raising compression . If you had race fuel and inlet temps that are decent than yes you could leave full timing in likely. But on pump fuel that may not be consistent pump to pump I would read the plugs and add a little safety with a bit of timing knocked out . JMOP

·
5,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I run 36 degrees out the back door, 35 PSI 13.0 AFR Q16 110 degrees.

That should get ya talking :)
I know how :p but I guess after going to boost seminars and having my engine done by you I should pick up on something;)

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Ok - I'll ask - how do you run that much boost/timing that lean without letting the magic smoke out? I run a max of 8 psi, ~11.2 afr, 93 pump gas - fat, slow and happy.

1 - 20 of 107 Posts