Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone watch this?Wife and I are addicted since we saw the program on Flight 255 in Detroit on. We were only a couple of miles away that day yet we heard nothing or saw any smoke. It wasn't til we saw it on the news that we knew about it. When we flew into Detroit last year we could still see the newer replacement bricks on the Avis building where the airplane hit it.

They cover a lot of foreign crashes too.

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
I watch it all the time.. The crashes that just blow me away, are the ones that have stupid pilot error..

Like the ones where a stall warning goes off.. And the pilot pulls back on the yoke, and can't understand why the plane keeps falling..

·
Got Woodgrain?
7,836 Posts
I watch it all the time.. The crashes that just blow me away, are the ones that have stupid pilot error..

Like the ones where a stall warning goes off.. And the pilot pulls back on the yoke, and can't understand why the plane keeps falling..
Or the Russian pilot that let his kid fly the plane. Derp.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
^^^Yup, i saw quite a few episodes including this one in particular. It s called Spacial Distortion, and i promise you its a real phenomena that alot of us including myself would succumb to. They believe this is how Kennedys plane crashed and even more recently that helicopter accident in NYC. Its hard to explain and train for until you experiance it. I ve had a few lessons behind the cyclic, the mind can no doubt play evil tricks on you. Flying on just instruments is easy they say until a problem or two or three arise. Panic ensues, followed by usually several bad decisions. This is why less time on flight simulators should be so acceptable. Pilots become to dependant on auto pilot.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
^^^Yup, i saw quite a few episodes including this one in particular. It s called Spacial Distortion, and i promise you its a real phenomena that alot of us including myself would succumb to. They believe this is how Kennedys plane crashed and even more recently that helicopter accident in NYC. Its hard to explain and train for until you experiance it. I ve had a few lessons behind the cyclic, the mind can no doubt play evil tricks on you. Flying on just instruments is easy they say until a problem or two or three arise. Panic ensues, followed by usually several bad decisions. This is why less time on flight simulators should be so acceptable. Pilots become to dependant on auto pilot.

This is absolutely true. The amount of automation in today's aircraft has really done a number on stick & rudder skills. And it's going to get worse. The worldwide pilot shortage has, and will continue to lower standards.

·
Aviation Section
27,398 Posts
Economics also, students around the world do not have flying clubs to go to that would let them learn basic skills and seat of the pants flying, they take the best candidates out of regular schools and teach them in simulators and then the real aircraft and they have just leap-frogged over all the training that they could have gotten working their way up through different types.

Does not allow them to think outside of the box, they only know the Flight Manual and that is it, if systems go down, and they do, they are in real trouble. Dave

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Anyone watch this?Wife and I are addicted since we saw the program on Flight 255 in Detroit on. We were only a couple of miles away that day yet we heard nothing or saw any smoke. It wasn't til we saw it on the news that we knew about it. When we flew into Detroit last year we could still see the newer replacement bricks on the Avis building where the airplane hit it.

I was working at the U of M hospital when this happened.
I'll never forget when Cecelia Cichan (the lone 4 year old
survivor) came in that night.

I spent sometime with the family, had breakfast with
her grandfather.

·
Trump Voter NRA Member
8,238 Posts
I can remember that night, I could see the smoke from my house. I would go through the intersection of Middlebelt and Goddard every day on my way to work. I cousin was a Wayne County Sheriff deputy and was working at the airport that night, he was one of the first responders, he told me a little about what it looked like.
The roads around there were closed for at least a week while they cleaned up the debris field.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts

I also remember that day. The discipline the flight crew had to steer the plane onto the freeway knowing they were probably going to bite it.

·
Registered
13,496 Posts
The crash in Clarence NY several years ago was about 1/4 mile from my house before moving to SC. It was crazy how small the crash site was. It took out 1 house with a person inside. My guess would be 300x300'

A pilot without snow/sleet/ice training flying into Buffalo in the winter? Not good.

RIP to the poor soles onboard and on the ground.

·
Put Custom Title HERE!...
56,427 Posts
The crash in Clarence NY several years ago was about 1/4 mile from my house before moving to SC. It was crazy how small the crash site was. It took out 1 house with a person inside. My guess would be 300x300'

A pilot without snow/sleet/ice training flying into Buffalo in the winter? Not good.

RIP to the poor soles onboard and on the ground.
Was that the turbo prop, with the female pilot from Seattle or Spokane?...

Ice'd up...........and dropped out of the sky?... :confused:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.