Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 15 year old air compressor identical to this one. Don't use it much, and due to neglect, it now has a pin hole in the bottom. I've looked at replacement tanks and they are not as cheap as I thought they would be. Mine runs great, and I just want to swap the tank. I want a new tank, not something used that is questionable condition. Could have been treated like mine was!

Similar newer model sells for $689 with less HP.
http://www.aircompressorsdirect.com/Campbell-Hausfeld-VT6271-Air-Compressor/p87.html

Found a replacement tank for $350 not including shipping:
http://catalog.compressedairsystems...rizontal-air-receivers-10-240-gallons/302469?

Anyone have a better idea or source for tanks?

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Can't patch it?

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I don't want this in my garage. Who knows what the rest of the tank bottom looks like.

Good point. Wasn't sure if you could patch a tank or not.

·
Registered
22,179 Posts
My now long gone good Buddy used two tall propane tanks set at 175 psi for years and years!

Damn I miss Bob!!

pdq67

·
Registered
15,378 Posts
My now long gone good Buddy used two tall propane tanks set at 175 psi for years and years!

Damn I miss Bob!!

pdq67
That's a great idea, any compressed gas tank will hold way more pressure than it needs to.

PS I would guess that the picture of the blown up compressor is the result of either no pressure relief valve or more likely the compressor sucking in some kind of flammable fumes making a perfect bomb then finding an ignition source, not a simple defect.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
That's a great idea, any compressed gas tank will hold way more pressure than it needs to.

PS I would guess that the picture of the blown up compressor is the result of either no pressure relief valve or more likely the compressor sucking in some kind of flammable fumes making a perfect bomb then finding an ignition source, not a simple defect.
I agree....hard to believe that was from a weld or pinhole...(there has to be more to this story)

·
Registered
22,179 Posts
No, the damned things rust out by making water caused pin-holes!

We really need to drain the tank(s) about once every 3 months or so to get any water out! And Bob had a pin-hole in one of his tall propane tanks.. And he knew why!!

pdq67

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Correct. I just needed a failed tank photo to illustrate my point. Pic was a tank with a bad pressure valve. I have read safety reports online about oil from the compressor making it's way into the tank, clogging the fill tube, air temp goes up from compression in the tube, then a diesel type ignition. Most rusted tanks just start leaking, but I still don't want to chance it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts