Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an air compressor problem that is driving me nuts and im not sure what it is. I have a 20 year old 60 gallon Devillbiss air compressor. The other day i had n issue with the electric motor. Got that fixed and i hook everything back up and fire it up. I starts off real slowand starts squeeling. So i readjust the belt thinking maybe it was too tight. Now i start it up and it runs for a sec and stop and starts squeeling. The electric motor is still running. So i shut it off to check the cylinder and its free and the pully spins fine and i can hear there is compression. The cylinder is full of oil. The belt looks good even though its 20 years old. So what the heck ?Any ideas guys? Is my cylinder going to hell?...tHanks joe

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
Is the unloader valve stuck closed? That would make the motor unable to start and possibly do tat.

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
The unloader valve releases the pressure in the tube going from compressor to tank. If the unloader fails, the tube and head retains and pressure and won't be strong enough to start next cycle.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It ran for a little bit but didnt sound the greatest. Then i shut it off to go eat supper and then it started the other crap. Runs for a sec and the stops and starts squealing

·
Registered
42,122 Posts
Drain the air from the tank and start it. If it runs normally, it is the unloader or the tank check valve. Even if the unloader works, if the check leaks it will repressurize the compressor.

·
Registered
71 Posts
If the receiver tank check valve is leaking? It will be either hissing at the pressure switch or the unload valve in the side of the crankcase. The valve at the pressure switch will remain closed until pressure is met to shut of the electric motor. You can actuate it and hear air blowing hissing when the compressor is running. Generally if the check valve is leaking the lines to the unloader will get hot as they are venting heated compressed air. Oil in the cylinder? Your statement. Did you mean crankcase? If it is a single phase motor? Your should hear an audible click from the centrifugal switch in the motor as it starts up. That is the rpm when the start winding is dropped out. If you don't achieve this rpm? The motor growls and cuts up until it either burns up or trips the overload in the starter box.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
My Dayton did the same thing, was the tank check valve. If you remove it, it is very picky to the torque you retighten it to. I put a new one in and cranked it down and did the same thing, then read the instructions and it said like 18 foot lbs. I retorqued it and was fine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts