Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wanting to put a air compressor in my 38 ft gooseneck trailer and I am looking for some input on what to buy.Thinking about mounting the compressor forward in the front upper area of the trailer. I have been looking at the small ultra quiet oil less compressors but I do not know if these small compressors will be adequate.All I really need the air compressor for is for the E-Z Lift jacks and put air in the tires .Any input advice will be helpful.
THANKS gary m

·
Registered
13,735 Posts
IMO should work fine for low volume, might consider adding a portable air tank for storage that you can disconnect and take with you.

·
EFI/N2O JUNKIE
17,925 Posts
This is the one I put up in the loft area of my Gooseneck. Ran a line down through the floor and put a hose reel inside the riser where the landing gear are. Ran another line under the trailer to a hose reel in the back along the wall. One small coiled hose beside the tool boxes bolted to the bench. Have air everywhere!

·
TD 3550
3,044 Posts
On my 44, i added 2 truck air tanks in the front cabinet. Plumed along with the compressor air tank. Plenty of air reserve. Compressor hardly runs.These are Velvac air tanks.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I use a Metabo OILED pancake mounted in generator door that works great. The oiled version seems to take some of the amp load off of the generator at start up. I also got one of the RapidAire hose and fitting kits from Northern tool and installed one distribution block with coupler at the front corner of trailer we use for a blow down line when disconnecting the engine cooler and one behind the fender with a splitter so I can run jacks and and air tires. I also put two 4” schedule 80 pipes in line that are mounted under the trailer floor side to side between floor joists for additional holding capacity. Actually clamped to the to floor support and plumbed through them.

·
Registered
778 Posts
The battery powered ones are nice for airing tires. I use a cheap Robi and it works great. I’m more of a poor buys races, no air jacks here.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I am wanting to put a air compressor in my 38 ft gooseneck trailer and I am looking for some input on what to buy.Thinking about mounting the compressor forward in the front upper area of the trailer. I have been looking at the small ultra quiet oil less compressors but I do not know if these small compressors will be adequate.All I really need the air compressor for is for the E-Z Lift jacks and put air in the tires .Any input advice will be helpful.
THANKS gary m

I have 1.5 hp small single tank compressor in my trailer. My landing gear was broke on my gooseneck trailer so I was using a 10 ton air assisted hydraulic jack to lift the front during hook up and disconnecting the trailer. The small compressor in the trailer struggled to run the air jack. I would have to wait for it to pump up 3-4 times to lift the trailer. I suspect you will have the same issue with the Pro Jacks for your car with that small of a compressor. Maybe adding another larger tank for storage might help. I just replaced the landing gear on my trailer with hydraulic gear.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
when I had my trailer built by Intech they put a Rolair 2.5 hp compressor in it w/ a 5.3 gal tank. Small & easy to mount & big enough to run my projacks & fill big tires w/o issues.
worked so good I bought the same compressor for my shop.

·
EFI/N2O JUNKIE
17,925 Posts
I have 1.5 hp small single tank compressor in my trailer. My landing gear was broke on my gooseneck trailer so I was using a 10 ton air assisted hydraulic jack to lift the front during hook up and disconnecting the trailer. The small compressor in the trailer struggled to run the air jack. I would have to wait for it to pump up 3-4 times to lift the trailer. I suspect you will have the same issue with the Pro Jacks for your car with that small of a compressor. Maybe adding another larger tank for storage might help. I just replaced the landing gear on my trailer with hydraulic gear.
That setup is expensive! When I had Pace build my Gooseneck they wanted another $1500 for the hydraulic landing gear. I didn't get it. But, a few weekends of hand-cranking that sucker got old, FAST!
So I got a couple of sprockets and chain from McMaster-Carr, a cheap winch, did some welding and drilling, and made an electric landing gear setup with a remote control! It works, not as fast as I would like, could probably re-gear it to speed it up, the winch may be too whimpy at that point, but I don't have to crank anymore! (Unless the trailer battery is dead.)

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
That setup is expensive! When I had Pace build my Gooseneck they wanted another $1500 for the hydraulic landing gear. I didn't get it. But, a few weekends of hand-cranking that sucker got old, FAST!
So I got a couple of sprockets and chain from McMaster-Carr, a cheap winch, did some welding and drilling, and made an electric landing gear setup with a remote control! It works, not as fast as I would like, could probably re-gear it to speed it up, the winch may be too whimpy at that point, but I don't have to crank anymore! (Unless the trailer battery is dead.)
You are right it wasn’t cheap but I am not getting any younger and didn’t want to crank the handle any more. I did the job myself and it worked out good. The kit I bought was really nice and had everything in it to do the job except the welding rods. That made the job a bit easier

·
Registered
329 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks for all the replies.I am considering the 10 gal Fortress 175 psi ultra quiet air compressor.I do want to mount the compressor in the loft area and run 1/2 in copper lines to the areas that I want air couplers, I think one outside under the loft floor and may be a coupler by the bench. I also might consider the 6 gal pancake fortress compessor as well but I will have to think about this.As long as it will operate the Bickle ez lift jacks which is my main concern as well as putting air in tires and a small impact I will be ok with that.I know that I will not be using everything all at the same time, but I want a compressor that is adequate. THANKS for all the replies. gary m

·
Registered
329 Posts
thanks for all the replies.I am considering the 10 gal Fortress 175 psi ultra quiet air compressor.I do want to mount the compressor in the loft area and run 1/2 in copper lines to the areas that I want air couplers, I think one outside under the loft floor and may be a coupler by the bench. I also might consider the 6 gal pancake fortress compessor as well but I will have to think about this.As long as it will operate the Bickle ez lift jacks which is my main concern as well as putting air in tires and a small impact I will be ok with that.I know that I will not be using everything all at the same time, but I want a compressor that is adequate. THANKS for all the replies. gary m
I went to the local big rig truck supply house (actually a Napa Auto Parts Store, even Amazon sells it) and bought 3/8" DOT truck air brake line and ran through and under my trailer to the air chucks. T&E Trailers used it on my last trailer. It lasts forever and is rated to 600 pounds. They also have push in connectors and installation is a snap. Weather resistant, and replaceable/fixable any time anywhere if you have a problem.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have had an oil-less craftsmen compressor in my trailer for over 15 years, noisy , but works well. It is conventional style, not pancake and use it for everything including an air tool occasionally. Took the handle off it and bolted it to the floor.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
I have the cheap one from harbor Freight and it is quiet and has lasted very well. I caught it on sale for like $35 and thought it was worth the chance. I like the looks of that California air one but for $550 plus tax and shipping I will stick with my cheap one. And if it ever dies I have more than got my money's worth out of it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts